I want profoundly better bass

Looks like I caught your attention. I have a moderate sized stereo room that is about 12.5 feet wide and has no rear wall for almost 32 feet. With a large opening for the stairs on on side of the front of the room I have a fairly large area in which to propogate bass. My current speakers are either a pair of Apogee Mini Grands or a pair of Meadowlark Audio Hot Rod Herons. I have VTL MB-450s, A forte 4 and Vtl Tiny Triodes (with Infinicaps) with which to play amplifier roulette. Preamp is a hot Rodded VTL TL. 2.5 and Digital Source is an Ayre Cx7e. Vinyl is via a Dynavector 20Xh strapped to a Rega P-25 that feeds A Plinius Jarrah.
Here is the $64.00 question. Given the 2 speaks I have now and their proclivity to warmth and subtle detail, what would somebody suggest I do for speakers with PROFOUNDLY better bass? Budget is somewhere in the 5K range used preferred. If your thoughts are to subs, no thanks as I have been down that road. Even the Minigrand's subs are a bit too much slop and giggle compared to the panel parts of the Apogees. Here is another hint. BIG sound is good as long as images are not too stretched. Re. I do not want a 10 foot tall Diana Krall in my living room. I already married a gal who looks like her (only better) and would be very afraid of a ten foot tall woman. Thanks in advance

Meadowman
128x128meadowman
Coincident Tech. Total Eclipse
Legacy Audio Focus 20/20
Vienna Acoustics Mahlers
Talon Raven C???
Used Legacy Whispers or Verity Audio Parsifal Encores...

You will have what you are looking for with these. And no sub !
These are my own finalists. Actually the Totals and Focus 20/20
Vienna Mahlers work very well in large rooms, they disappear in the soundstage and have excellent bass extension and resolution. They prefer lots of space from the walls, and need an excellent amp to keep the bass under control. I have had good luck driving them with Pass X-350 and Bel Canto Evo4 Gen2 in my room. They are definitely warmish, not as transparent as your panels up top but the mids are very accurate and expressive. I tried the Von Schweikert VR4-jr's, not enough bass for a big room unless you leave the shot out, then it is muddy.
Raven C's with high current, high powered amps play extremely deep, tight, tuneful and fast bass. You will not even consider a subwoofer in a 2 channel system. Incredibly accurate and musical bass response when driven properly. MM
The big Velodyne servo Sub will probably do the trick for under $4000.
Stereophile gives it class-A for integrating with fast panels and electrostatics.

The problem with replacing good mains like yours in order to get better bass, is that you end up throwing out the baby with the bath.
ie: you might get the bass you're seeking, but then you'll end up sacrificing the midrange and treble you're apparently satisfied with.