Quad ESL 989 and Maggie 3.6s

I'm thinking of moving from the world of monitors and floorstanders to planers/electrostats -- this is partly due to my new amps, a set of McIntosh MC-501s, which finally give me more than ample power to get into this world.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has listened closely to both of these speakers, or has strong opinions toward one or the other? I've heard both described as near-ultimates of the type and certainly as "giant killers." Unfortunately, I have not heard the Quads (and it's been a long time since I have heard Quads).

One possible consideration against the Quads is that we do have small children in the house and they could be dangerous.

Ideas?
highdudgeon
Well, I have simplified thing: I now I have set of Quad ESL-988s on order. Smaller than the maggies and soundlabs, which is nice. Plus, the price was right. The experiment goes on!
Highdudgeon
Congrats. Do yourself a favor and scrap the factory supplied power cords and get a pair of decent (you don't need to break the bank) power cords. I was using Stealth Cloude Nine, which are pure silver, with great results. I also liked the Audience powerChord but the Quads were a little quicker and slightly more transparent with Cloude Nine.
Experiment with positioning; this is very critical. Eventually you'll want to add a sub or two. Enjoy!!!
Well, on the sub question I've been lookning at TBI, REL, and Vandersteen.

As it happens, I wound up order a Quad L sub AND a TBI magellan. The TBIs are smaller and, were I to use two subs (is that really necessary?), it would be easier to go with TBI.
Yes two subs are necessary. As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, do a search for member Rauliruegas and read what he has to say. He's done extensive research on the issue and you'll find a great deal of information. Have fun.