How would you desribe Von Schweiket VR-4jr sound?

Or for that matter the Von Schweikert sound in general, particularly their newer models?
What would you, Von Schweikert owners/previous owners, auditioners, consider their strengths.... weaknesses?

thx

geoh
geoh
I can't say that I would argue with the integration criticism. I don't think any dynamic speakers can compare to the seemless integration of electrostats and planar speakers. These speakers have their own shortcomings which is why I went with the VS. They cannot compete with bass, which is very poor in most cases (not all). Also dynamics are very important to me and I just don't hear the that with the electrostats that I've listened to (at least near the same price range). That's where individual taste comes to play.

The only speakers that I'd consider in place of the VS right now is Analysis Audio (starting at twice the price of the VS).

http://www.audiblearts.com/aa-index3.htm

They are good at bass and smooth all around. But I'd still miss the VS.

Rob
Funny how we all hear presentations slightly different, in the same set-ups, same place at the same time using the same recordings. I too attended the Stereophile Show and felt the VR4jr presentation was near flawless. Far from fatiguing after 30 minutes("mid-fi hi-fi, unnatural", etc) as Dracule experienced, I felt drawn into the audition by the Jr's warm musical depth, the ambient bubble surrounding vocals and instruments, the well extended and accurate bottom end, colorless midrange and sweet hi freq. The Jrs seemed to handle timbrally complex recordings extremely well while providing impressive bottom weight without congestion. Seamless to my ears, top to bottom.
FWIW, I first heard the $6000 Hyperion in walnut at CES and left the room scratching my head wondering what all the hype, fuss and fanfare was about. The sound was flat, forward, and lacking full-bodied dynamics, impact and weight. I chalked the audition up to the "show experience" (room interaction, cold electronics, etc). I then had my next experience with the $4500 Hyperion 938 in piano high-gloss black (the original and only finish available in this price range)at the Show in NYC. Though the presentation was better, I do find the overall character of the 938's tipped foward. So much so, that the bottom end is left somewhat compressed and lean sounding. It is this driver/crossover "dis-integration" that left me "wanting",, to hear the full orchestral weight and space around the instruments, the chesty impact of the kick drum, the tingling on the souls of my feet while listening to Stevie Ray's "Tin Pan Alley". I think for pop and small combo jazz the Hyperion's would be wonderful. But for Pink Floyd's "DSOTM", or to capture the feel of a orchestra hall, I'd prefer the VR4jrs over the Hyperion's for all musical tastes. I placed my 4Jr order in African Hazelwood last week BTW. Wish I could afford the new VRSr's that I heard at the show in NYC but, at half the price for the Jr's,,,,, I'm a happy camper!
Cheers!
Luciahd, you misquote me. I said the VR4jrs sounded "unnatural" when I auditioned them prior to the NY Highend Show, and I did not say they sound "midfi" if you read my posts carefully. At the Show, as I have stated over and over, the speakers really impressed me driven by the DK. I'm very sensitive to high frequency information - I literally can not walk a city block if I hear car brakes squeak. I hear what I hear, and I couldn't get over the high fequency "grit" of the VR4jr room at the Show.

I can't comment on the wood version of the 938s you heard because I was not there. But I can comment on the black 938s you heard at the Show because I was there. The room was small and I do agree with you to some extent on the bass and high freq performance at the Show. I also heard them at the '94 NY show, and they sounded so different. They were in a larger room, the same size as the VR4jrs were in at this years show, and they were the best sound at the Show for me in '94. So much so I bought them based on the show performance. They're comparable and in some ways better than Apogees and stat setups I was used to because of the dynamics of the 938s.

As for Pink Floyd's DSOTM, I have the SACD version and played it through my 938s using the 70lb class A Junson integrated amp. Let me tell you, the imaging, bass, and dynamics were on par with the VR4jr setup at the Show and without the high frequency "grit" I heard through the VR4jrs. Too bad the Jungson developed a problem just as it was starting to open up, and I had to return it for a replacement. So I can't agree with you when you say the 938s are only good for small jazz combo or pop.

I don't know if the high freq anomaly is inherent in the VR4jrs, but I have heard similar anomaly on different setups through the VR4jrs. May be a really high quality class A amp may get rid of the problem. I have not heard this problem with the higher models from VS.

Hey, if the VR4jrs do it for you, congradulations! I'm happy for you. In the end, it's your ears that matter, not what others say. But it's always fun to have a friendly discourse.
For a speaker (VR4jrs) that have never received a bad professional review, in fact they've all been glowing or better from some sources that do not usually hand out glowing reviews automatically, these speakers are taking some heavy criticism.
Are they really that bad? Are they really Sony speakers with a different name? Are they really speakers that only sound good with certain, limited, expensive electronics?
Most reviews refer to them as "giant killers", performing well above their price range. Is this just hogwash/hype?

What do you guys think?
Great speaker for the money or
just another pretender?
If, by the number of positive reviews about this speaker, the conclusion here is that the VR-4jr's are pretenders, one could postulate that the reviews of them are also. I for one don't believe that equipment reviews are political but the reviewer is linked to the reviewed component.