How would you desribe Von Schweiket VR-4jr sound?

Or for that matter the Von Schweikert sound in general, particularly their newer models?
What would you, Von Schweikert owners/previous owners, auditioners, consider their strengths.... weaknesses?

thx

geoh
geoh
Rob, Couldn't agree more. I am , sadly, one of many who like in the boonies, and getting to hear any of this stuff is almost impossible, so I rely like most on reviews and the sage advice of the great people on forums like this. I almost alwaqys buy used, as I can't get to areas where they are on display, so I look for used and if something isnot to my taste, I resell and consider the expense an audition fee. I think in there near future stores will have to charge an ëntrance"fee to let us audition stuff, and try to sell at near the online prices,in order to be competitive. Somehow, they need to compete on price while charging for the additional service they provide, and something like this might work. You might be able to apply the audition fees to the purchase at the store as a way of enticing you to buy there.
The internet has made it tough to compete for many...
Anyway, back to the VR4jr's...I like mine, and hope you find the sound that thrills you.
I have the original VR-4. I have had these hooked to several Large tube mono blocks and large solid states. I can clearly hear the diffrences between designs.To me solid state amplification is not what these were designed for. Although these need big time power to really shine it needs to be tube power the amps that I thought would rule were horrible. (Krell MDA 300). Bets amp ive heard on these are rogue 120's but run out of power. Hurricanes are okay but are much less involving. VTL's have the power but are like a misadjusted EQ. Carys are nice and tubey, rogue zues handle these the best but I miss the immedicy of the 120's.
To think these speakers cost me 1300.00 is something to think about. If you dont like what you hear, you can change it trust me.
For some reason, some people seem bent on bashing the VRjr. I own them, and they are great speakers.

I have very discerning ears, and am a musician. When I listen to audio components, I listen for what sounds more real, more musical. I can nitpick as well as the most critical here, but I listen to the totality of the sound. If something sounds more like the real thing, I can live with small anomalies --- nothing is perfect.

On those who make so many criticisms of this speaker, I wonder what associated equipment they are using, as these speakers ruthlessly reveal the sound of every component in the chain. I also wonder what recordings people are listening to. First and foremost, I use exceptional recordings to make my judgments. Even exceptional recordings have their tonal quirks. For example, some Cheskys are tipped slightly bright and forward balanced, yet have exceptional detail and musicality. Some Verve Jazz recordings are exceptional, but exhibit some brightness in certain ranges. Some tracks on the same recording vary in quality and tonal balance. One must be familiar with the quirks of the recordings used, and adjust one's opinion and evaluation accordingly.

The VRjr has revealed many of these nuanced differences to me, that prior speakers have not. No, they are not perfect, but, most importantly, they provide that certain "clear window on the sound" that is basically coherent. I don't hear the discontinuities in driver integration people are claiming here.

I'm afraid that some audiophiles choose equipment that makes their favorite flawed recordings sound better, rather than carefully choose recordings that are musical and coherent, and then judge the equipment accordingly. In that light, the VRjr reproduces something closer to the musical truth than many other speakers on the market.

Kevziek, your right on the money with your assessment. They are uncolored and realistic sounding. They will bring out sonic charateristics of the other components.