Heads Up: ARC is introducing the new SP-20 in Fall

An excerpt from ARCDB web site:

"Tube stereo preamplifier.

"As a result of the ever-increasing demand for a full-function preamplifier with a level of performance substantially above that of the SP17, we are pleased to introduce the striking new SP20 vacuum-tube preamplifier. Influenced by some of our classic groundbreaking SP preamplifiers but with performance that is only achievable by our best LS- and PH-series designs, the SP20 offers inspirational performance combined with real value. ..."

MSRP is $9000 -- a veritable bargain. ;-(
bifwynne
I'm surprised no one says anything about the price. I guess in today's market you have to be rich to own ARC gear. I can't afford any of their new gear. I do own ARC gear but I purchased it used. It still wasn't cheap but I figure it should hold it's value pretty good so it's still a good buy used.
Taters, my OP responds to your point: "MSRP is $9000 -- a veritable bargain. ;-( "

I agree with your comment that ARC gear isn't cheap. And like you, I purchase gear that is either preowned or "refurbed" (i.e., gear that ARC used as a show or dealer demo).

I usually pay about 60-65% of MSRP. My "new" Ref 150 is a preowned unit that only had about 1000 hours on it. That's great because the prior owner broke the Ref 150 in for me. ;-)

Bruce
It is always interesting to me when people complain about the prices of components. Most times, they don't know too much about how things are designed (R&D), components are procurred, or construction. Not to mention the company's overhead. However, you are correct, even though I am an Engineer and know how these things work, I still see prices that are stupidly high. My logic is, just don't buy it if I think it is too high. Same for cars, clothes, and just about anything else. Why worry about it and stress myself out? Just walk away with a smile. I like the quality of Audio Research's equipment. They know their stuff. So, right now the REF 250 amps are out of my price range. But the day is young. One never knows do one? as the saying goes. But the real question should be, are you getting what you pay for? An object, equipment, car, house, art, etc. is worth exactly what a person is willing to pay for it. So, all thing considering, like Overhead, design/R&D costs, construction costs, estimated number of units to sell, etc. a company will set their price point and run with it. It's kind of funny how you really don't see people compaining about car prices. They think a Mercedes is actually worth what the dealer is asking. I see no difference between that and a "high end" piece of audio equipment. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. Sometimes. Audio Research = quality audio equipment.

enjoy