shindo vs. atma-sphere

i've been auditioning shindo and atma-sphere pre-amps, particularly for their phono sections and was wondering who else has compared the two brands.

which gives better sound and is easier to live with over the long term?

i like the shindo sound, but the atma-phere seems like it will be easier to maintain/repair and get replacement tubes. plus, atma-sphere is always upgrading their electronics and upgrades are relatively easy to get.
the_rook
Have not heard Shindo, but agree Atmasphere is good place for a vinyl lover to be. Have heard phono through atmasphere amp, but do not recall what pre-amp was used. Can't imagine anything vinyl related that says atmasphere on it not sounding top notch.
If you are using amplification with balanced inputs, especially if a balanced design internally, Atma-Sphere may well be your choice. Single ended equipment can be used very satisfactorily as well, as explained on the Atma-Sphere website.

Atma-Sphere designs with their 20-year rule always in mind: they expect their products to be used for at least 20 years before needing major service (for example, new capacitors). With that in mind, they choose parts and tubes that can reasonably be expected to be available -- or to have appropriate equivalents -- 20 years down the road. Long tube life is expected -- Ralph Karsten estimates at least 10,000 hours from the power tubes and 10-50,000 hours from the input/driver tubes. Atma-Sphere's two-year general warranty also covers the tubes for one full year, not just 90 days as is commonly seen.

Dealer disclosure.
i have yet to hear a fully updated atma-sphere; and the dealer doesn't have the mp3 which is in my budget (and small enough to fit my space).

the shindo i liked was within my budget - just.
I have heard both and both have been amongst some of the best sounding tube amps I have ever heard. I could easily live for the rest of my life with either (and a box of tubes).