Why do McIntosh come with cheap plastic remotes?

Any comments as to why Macs come with el-chepo remotes?
Somehow this just doesn't fit with the notion of elegant and robust gear.
sonicbeauty
I've some heavy remotes, some small and light remotes, and had a ridiculously large remote once. None have ever failed. So as far as I am concerned if the remote works well, cheap is fine. The guts are likely all pretty much the same.
You can add Jeff Rowland to the list. My JR preamp comes with a small plastic remote that says 'Made in Korea' at the back. The preamp looks and sounds gorgeous but the remote is so out of place, a bit like having a plastic spoon in the midst of silver cutlery. I asked to upgrade to something more substantial but they don't have it!
I used to own an ARC Ref 3 preamp and indeed, the JR remote is no better than the ARC's.
I think finally that the remote should be considered as an extension or the unit, being of equal quality.

I'm not saying the remote should be metal, but at least of higher grade plastic design.

I own the Oppo 105. Bought an extra remote for only $ 12.00

Puts any McIntosh or ARC remote to shame. Same with Anthem remotes, great quality for the price.

Best one ever is my current Pathos Logos remote. Just a solid and gracious peice of wood with 4 unmarked buttons. Classy and in-line with the unit's looks and function.
I think finally that the remote should be considered as an extension or the unit, being of equal quality.

Well said Sonic beauty. Specially when you pay mega bucks for that unit.