Classe' DR-6 MKI vs MKII

Hi,

I wish to buy an old Classe' DR-6 to drive my Jeff Rowland Model One and my ML Aerius. I wish to know if the last DR-6 version (balanced inputs and outputs) reflects a true balanced design and the overall quality of the sound respect to the first DR-6 version (balanced outputs only).

Thank you for your help.

Regards.

Luca
luca58
J135, I am not disputing what you hear.

My former dealer was one of the original and largest Classe dealers back when Dave Reich got started. He was also a Classe dealer when Glen Grue took over the company and forced Reich out. He was my source of information, plus I owned a lot of Classe equipment.

Grue was a marketing guy who saw a need to generate publicity without incurring the expense of a complete product overhaul, therefore, he decided to re-brand the existing line with new cosmetics and leverage his advertising budget to garnish “new” reviews. He also understood the power of suggestion in that if you claim a new and improved version, people will buy into the premise.

Yes, I would recommend to the OP to audition the pre in question, but I would not get too hung up on the “version” as they all have a very very similar sound.
Thank you very much for your answers!

I already own a Classe' DR-5, which is a good preamplifier but I find that its sound is a bit too bright. I also own a JRDG Synergy 1, which is a fabulous piece with a very natural voice, but, by contrast, it seems to lack energy in some cases.

A friend of mine has then suggested me to search for the DR-6, as he told me that it may represent the right compromise between the two.
Also try a Rowland Capri. I owned the original, have not heard the Series 2.
I never heard of a Classe DR5, Model 5 or whatever being described as bright?

J135 and I are going to agree on one thing...try out the Capri.