Advantages of monoblocks

Hey all,

The merry-go-round, which had stopped for a while, is now showing signs of a slow circular movement. In nautical and financial terms this is usually never a good sign.

Anyhow, I'm running a quite good LSA Statement integrated now, powering de Capo BE monitors. I was wondering if monoblocks and a good pre-amp would be a better way to go?

I last had monoblocks when I ran Rogue M120's about a decade ago befor moving on to an ARC VS-110.

Would monoblocks present a significant advantage over a single amplifier or over the tremendous LSA?

They would have to be used and my budget is $4K max.

Cheers,

simao
128x128simao
Al, maybe my previous message came across as sounding not quite right.. :)
What I'm trying to convey was that the money saved from not needing to buy another
pair of IC (if Simao is to go separate) would be better spent to upgrade existing
cabling/maximizing current system instead.
If you don't blast music, I might suggest you look for a lower-powered tube amp. I've heard the DaCapos with Shindo and it was a beautiful combination. However, I don't think you're getting anything like that with your budget. Maybe a Unison Simply Italy or a Mastersound Due Venti would work. The DaCapos are pretty efficient and will work well with 15-20 watts. But if you like to play electronic music at loud volumes, you're better off with what you have. IMO.
These are the responses I was looking for. With my budget, there's no way I'm going to improve on the LSA in terms of monoblocks AND the requisite pre. If anything, I'll take Bvdiman's advice about improving what I have.

I'm running Clear Day cables throughout and a SignalCable PC from the LSA (stock cord with the Rotel 1072 cd). If anything, I could improve the PC's.

You fellow audiogoners rock!
Simao,

I agree with Al and the others who are skeptical of replacing your integrated with $4k worth of used mono blocks and preamp. I recently went from a Rogue 99 Magnum preamp/M180 mono block system to an Ayon Triton 1 integrated amp and I couldn't be happier. In my opinion the Ayon integrated was an upgrade. And while I wasn't using the most expensive interconnects in the world in the Rogue system, the $1100 Kimber Select interconnect between the preamp and amps weren't exactly cheap. That is to say that if you are going to include good interconnects in your $4k budget it is hard to imagine that compared to what you already have that you are going to improve your system. Most likely you would be taking a significant step backwards.

Cheers,

John