Any thoughts on removing a preamp from your system

Hello guys

This is my first post and I have been on Audiogon for a number of years now.

My question to the group is, have any of you removed your preamp completely from your system? Run your front ends straight to your amp? And, what benefits have you noticed, if any.

And finally, if you have used a passive preamp in your system, what are your thoughts on the setup?

I understand one would need to have some sort of "pot" in the signal path to regulate volume.

Herb
hcalland
A few thoughts based on my experience, which over the last 25 years has followed a convoluted path, from integrated amp, to no preamp with no volume attenuation, to passive with buffer, to another passive with buffer, to endler resistor based volume control, to Promethius Ref 4 TVC, to Promethius Signature TVC, and finally to Coincident Statement Line Stage.

Based on my experience, one can certainly go without a preamp if one is single sourced. If the source has a digital volume control, that is good. No ability to attenuate the volume gets old pretty quickly. My path was driven by economics more than anything else. I think you can do very well in a carefully built system pretty cheaply using passive volume control, particularly transformer volume control designs. I would still prefer an excellent passive to an average active.

I don't think you can get to the ultimate level without a top notch active preamp. It is more than just volume control and source switching. You need the active pre to drive the amps. Most sources just can't do that well. There could be other issues at work, but the results in my system were undeniable. Everything--- dynamics, image, resolution, you name it. Every aspect of musical reproduction was improved by adding the Coincident CSL to my system.

It is my opinion that a top notch active preamp should be the ultimate goal in every system, money permitting. But one does have some pretty good relatively inexpensive options while on that path.
06-04-14: Mapman
YEs, but the question is, why?

I can see how the proper eletronic mating might be trickier with a passive, but I cant see a disadvantage if done right

I can't see sound waves either, yet they are there. My ears tell me the difference, not my eyes. I can't explain why anymore than I can explain why a power cord can make a difference, or tubes sound better to me than solid state.

I'm sure that someone can probably come up with some techno-marketing buzz words that may help you understand why, but in the end, all the proof you should need is in the listening. Trust your own ears.
"Trust your own ears."

No doubt that is the main key, but I also find that most things that really matter in good sound can be explained at least in theory. WHether the theory is then supported by the facts during listening or not is another story.

That's how science works without in fact ever 100% proving anything. Without theory or hypotheses at a minimum, there can be no roadmap for making informed decisions. Chaos would rule. Chaos is not a very efficient mechanism for getting anywhere. :^)
Jaxwired,
Try Mytek 192 DAC-Preamp which is mostly DAC.
It's the best volume control I've ever used. It combines advantages of passive and active amplification. If your amp is sensitive, you can adjust gain to unity to have maximum transparency. You can also boost it to have better dynamics and bass control.
Prior to that I used DIY passive pre, Classe, Bryston and McCormack preamplification. In all cases I liked minimal preamplification gain figuring that minimalistic preamp is just as good as passive but better.