Any thoughts on removing a preamp from your system

Hello guys

This is my first post and I have been on Audiogon for a number of years now.

My question to the group is, have any of you removed your preamp completely from your system? Run your front ends straight to your amp? And, what benefits have you noticed, if any.

And finally, if you have used a passive preamp in your system, what are your thoughts on the setup?

I understand one would need to have some sort of "pot" in the signal path to regulate volume.

Herb
hcalland
Jaxwired,
Try Mytek 192 DAC-Preamp which is mostly DAC.
It's the best volume control I've ever used. It combines advantages of passive and active amplification. If your amp is sensitive, you can adjust gain to unity to have maximum transparency. You can also boost it to have better dynamics and bass control.
Prior to that I used DIY passive pre, Classe, Bryston and McCormack preamplification. In all cases I liked minimal preamplification gain figuring that minimalistic preamp is just as good as passive but better.
I need Almarg to chirp in and offer up his usual well informed and no nonsense assessment this time about good passive versus good active pre-amps!

Tortuga is one line that has caught my eye recently. LEt's use that as a test case for comparison perhaps.

Almarg, where are you?
In my second system (the one in the vertical cabinets in my system photos), I have 6 sources:

1) phono
2) Squeezebox Touch
3) DVD
4) tuner
5) VHS tape
6) cable box

The last 4 feed into an old Radio Shack/Realistic unpowered "passive" 4 source switching box gadget I have had for years. This was a $20-$30 gadget as I recall many years back.

Then the "passive" source switching device runs into tape in on an old NAD 7020 receiver that I use for pre-amp only that feeds the TAD Hibachi monoblocks that drive my smaller OHM speakers and my Stax phones.

SB Touch runs direct into the NADs aux input and phono to NAD phono input.

This works quite well. None of the sources I am feeding into the passive Realistic box are SOTA certainly, but the performance is quite suitable. I have heard these devices running directly as well in the past, and if there is a difference, it does not seem to matter much.

That makes me think a true good quality passive pre-amp with a good quality volume control might work quite well. Definitely something worth considering if needed.

Whenever Al chimes in, i just skip to the bottom of his post and try to understand his conclusion. I thought I was somewhat smart until I started coming around here, haha!

I really love my Lightspeed Attenuator. It definately removed that last layer of haze I had at the time. I think it has incredible transparency and dynamics and it was $500. I think you'd have to spend 3 to 4 times that much to even begin to make an improvement, probably at the cost of some transparency.
I admire Al's technical knowledge as well but what do you expect him to say? This is strictly an individual case by case situation. A number of people have auditioned the Lightspeed, some love it and some preferred their active preamplifier. It comes down to what you hear and choose as better. There's no technical explanation to account for the variance in choice. If Al uses/ prefers passive or active it's still his personal decision based on actually listening, not some technical theory. I find tubes better sounding than solid state in general. I don't require a theory to decide, I just listen. The same is true of those listeners who prefer transistors.
Charles,