Your most disappointing purchase or audition?

I've had a few.

bought a Naim Nait 3. Loved it in the store. Returned it within a week- way forward at home

Brought home some CJ preamp to audition perhaps 22 years ago. Noisy as anything and a turn off transient destroyed a tweeter (though years later i bought a CJ 17LS2 which I thought was the finest preamp I ever heard in my home)

Auditioned a VPI table (HW19) in a store- the store just could not get the belt to stay on. Bought a Rega instead. This was in perhaps 1990.

Fortunately, I never really experienced buyers remorse say 6 months or more after settling on a piece of gear.

Finally, there have been too many speakers that got stellar write ups which I just didn't care for.
128x128zavato
That's just too funny P59teitel, I mean Mom on the couch with the speaker. You must be careful what you say when dealing with "serious" people, one never knows or can begin to realize the results. Problem with your case, if I were a moderator and the aggrieved party started complaining, you got a bit too personal, never talk about a son's mom, direct personal assult. In those cases ya gotta nip em at the bud, still funny though, at least to me.

Charles, maybe by all the responses in your favor, I mean really what did you do but offer your opinion, the moderators might just lighten up a bit on opinions offered and focus their attention more on the most egregious crimes and misdemeanors. That guy in Roxy's example sounds like he has some deeper issues, sure wouldn't him to know where I lived.
Well it seems my monitored restriction has been lifted today, thanks audiogon for this action. I sincerely appreciate the support of fellow audiogon members. As with all of my Posts on this site, I was just expressing a honest opinion. As Trelja said, disagreement is expected and often beneficial in open forum discussions.
Charles,
08-07-14: Charles1dad
Regarding the moderator, someone didn't like my comments on a current thread concerning his Magico speakers so he reported me.Now my posts have to be approved.
Charles,

I ran into a similar problem on the High Fidelity cable thread a couple of months ago. I think the moderators should start looking at those who are complaining and not simply jump to conclusions. In my case a newer, less experienced member ran to the moderators, not because my comments were offensive, but because they were "off topic".
I was being moderator for a week or so, until I asked the moderators what was up.
When considering whether to monitor someone, perhaps the moderators should look more closely at the offended complainers history, and consider the source of the complaint, before just having a knee-jerk reaction.

I'm glad that you 'punishment' has been lifted Charles. ;^)

Cheers,
John
John,
Agreed, investigate the merit of the complaint is all I ask before rendering a decision. Anyway it's in the past now.
Charles
Charles, I'm very happy to see today's development, as referenced above. If I may say so without being presumptuous, IMO your posts are consistently among the most perceptive, knowledgeable, well balanced, and (unless circumstances warrant otherwise) gentlemanly posts to be found here.

Joe (Trelja), thanks for the response. I did some searching to see if I could identify anything that might account for the amazing diversity of opinion about the Acoustic Zen speakers, perhaps such as impedance characteristics that might make their performance unusually amplifier dependent. But to no avail whatsoever, although I couldn't find a measured impedance curve.

One of the things I looked at in the course of that research was the technical information page of the manufacturer's website. Unfortunately, what I found were the same three paragraphs repeated 15 times! Presumably the speakers were designed with greater attentiveness :-)

Best regards,
-- Al