Krell New Pre-amps?

Hi, has any one auditioned or own any of the new Krell pre-amps?, if so, How does the best from krell stack up against The krell KRC-HR and KCT, and anything else Krell has ever made for pre-amps?, also, what is the favorite Krell pre-amp of all time?, Thankyou to all, I thought this may be an interesting subject for everyone to chime in on, cheers.
128x128audiolabyrinth
Audiolabyrinth,
If you want a processor that sounds great with stereo music and with 5.1 or 7.1 master audio BluRay discs, buy an Evo 707. If you plan to use the unit for stereo music only, you don't need the Evo 707. If that is the case, you might want to try to find a Krell Evo 2. But, either unit would match up perfectly with your amp. I think you would be happy with either choice.

Are you looking for a 2 channel music only pre-amp or a music and home theater processor?

Yes, I do think the Krell Evo 707 will compete very well with the best pre-amps available today.

If you are not using Cast, make sure you are using a high end balanced connection for your audio. I felt Cast MMF made a subtle but perceptible improvement in sound, (faster, more immediate, more vibrant). My 707 is connected to all of my amps with Cast MMF cable. Some people have reported that they like balanced connections better than Cast. I prefer Cast. It's a matter of taste, I guess.

For digital I use an Esoteric K01 SACD/CD player. The K01 is my second most all time favorite piece of equipment. It is far superior to any other SACD/CD player I have ever owned or listened to. I use analog out and connect to the 707 with a Kimber Kable KS1136 (balanced). For BluRay player I have a Dennon 3800 connected with HDMI. An update on the Dennon is way over-due, but I will probably wait for the high end 4K units to hit the market before buying a new movie/disc player.

I would never say the Evo 707 is the last processor I would ever purchase. At this time, I am completely satisfied with the 707, but who knows what the future holds. Something is bound to show up some day that will compel me to update. Unfortunately, Krell has no current plan to out-do the audio section of the Evo 707. I doubt they ever will, unless they feel there is a market that justifies the development and production cost.

I Update components of my audio/home theater system when I find a compelling product and the mood strikes.

When building a great sounding music/home theater system everything is important (front end, cables, pre-amps, amps, speakers, subs., speaker placement, seating placement, set-up, shelving, room acoustics, dedicated lines, eliminating hum, 'dirty lines', RFI). But, I have found that pre-amps have a greater impact on sound quality than amps and cables. A great pre-amp can contribute to a huge improvement in sound.

By the way, your amp should be using dedicated lines (Krell recommends dedicated lines for the 700cx).

Here is another simple, inexpensive tip: Switching from Comcast cable to Verizon FIOS dramatically improved my entire system (music, movies, TV). It eliminated a very soft, barely perceptible but constant hum (mild RFI from the cable lines). I had to put my ear next to the speaker to hear it, but it was always present. Because the FIOS signal is light until it reaches my house, it does not carry RFI (or at least it is less susceptible to RFI). When I switched to FIOS my entire system become incredibly silent with respect to back ground hum or hiss. It improved sound staging, instrument separation and became more 3 dimensional. Any back ground noise will reduce the performance of a high end music system.
Hi Matjet, I do have dedicated lines for my audio system I installed my self, was not an easy job,I am in the proccess of going Furutech GTX-D Gold oulets, when I install the new outlet on the krell, I will be taking the 20 amp breaker out and installing a new 30 amp breaker, Patrick highly recommended the 30 amp, said the amp will sound slightly better with sound stage, importantly, Patrick said the amp will run smoother with more current and become effortless with it's performance, my dedicated lines I installed are 10 gauge 3/1, these lines should take what ever is thrown at them, interesting though, vh-audio carries cryo treated lines for dedicated applications, Matjet, are you saying the verizon has a t.v. cable service?, I have never heard of them having that service here where I live, that was some good info too, I do not believe I would need a EVO 2 pre-amp, the 707 for two channel is what I would want it for, If I did get one, I would go back and fourth between a second system that I will be building in the future that I have the cables for to get the home theatre potential out of the unit, maybe, may be a big under taking installing and reinstalling the unit?, I envy your system!, I believe you can get far more performance out of what you have with better cables, if you have questions on what I am getting at, just ask, I am not a dealer, nor do I work for any audio company, my interconnect is balanced, I am told the Esoteric K-01 takes a very long time to burn-in with because of all the settings, The K-01 is considered the one to beat here on the community forums, it's a world class unit, congrats on such a state of the art player, what are you useing for speaker cables?, how long are they?, what speakers do you have?
Interesting, check out www.milliondollarstereos.com, their 2.284 million dollar system uses the Krell Evo 707 processor. I guess they also feel this is currently the best processor available.
Matjet, you are full of suprises, I will look into your site you posted above, not sure of getting a good sound would warrant such a costly system, the dimishing returns are very small after $75,000.00 total investment in the entire system to me, I enjoy talking to you very much, you have taught me alot here, I will put the 707 on my bucket list for sure, a worthy target to grace my system, I will be getting one, how long it will take me all depends, currently, I am going after the new on the market, Tara labs Evolution Omega speaker cables 6ft pair, after that, I will get the matching new Evolution Zero interconnect, currently, I have the original Tara Labs Zero Gold Interconnect with HFX grounding station which was the latest version of this interconnect, mated with the Omega Gold speakers cables and the Tara Cobalt power cord with oyaide terminations done at the Tara factory that is on my digital temporary player, Even with the up-grade to the better cable, I will not sale what I have, there keepers, to profound to me on my Krell amp or in general, when I said I envey your system, I am serious, your system is Awsome!, this may be a bit of news to you, did you know that Esoteric is coming out with some new players?, The K-01x and the K-03zx, they are saying that the technology is trickled down from the flag ship digital top seperates,there may be up-grade availability to current K-01 players, I am not sure yet, worth looking into, cheers.
Hi Matjet,

Just wondering whether you heard the Krell 7.1 hts and whether it was a good product ? Have the chance to get one here in UK for very little.

Cheers