PS Audio unveils their PS Audio Directstream DAC

First of all I have no affiliation with PS Audio, just an interested observer.

PS Audio has just announced their successor to the Perfectwave MKII called the Directstream DAC. It implements DSD and eliminates the PCM delivery system and uses a Field Programmable Gateway to acheive results which they say will "uncover more music on redbook CDs than was possible.

A full explanation can be read here:

http://www.psaudio.com/products/audio/media-players/perfectwave-directstream-dac/
aurelius
Only one question, why are SO many owners of the PWD MK II putting them up for sale here on Audiogon instead of upgrading?
One reason would be that they aren't interested in trading up and they want to sell now before their MKII's take a bigger hit in value (which will likely occur when the DSD's are in full swing). Or, they hope to get more than the $2000 PS Audio is offering on a trade-in and then hope to buy the DSD for less than the full retail PS Audio is selling them for .
Keep in mind their trade in price saves them from rebuilding a whole new unit they use your case and so forth. If this is as good as they say and I have no doubt it would be of great value to us who own thousands of CD's and have not plans are streaming or going back to vinyl and starting over. Nothing wrong with CD sound, as lone as it was mastered well, just like vinyl.
That PS Audio can offer their customers an upgrade kit to their existing Perfectwave DACS I & II offers them a good value if the Directstream DAC does what it promises. What I wonder is if the upcoming firmware upgrades will improve or hinder the sound that emanates from the DAC.
I've enjoyed my new DirectStream DAC now for about a month, and my jaw still drops with all the detail I now know I was missing. This DAC is just plain awesome!

I received the latest firmware with the DAC. PS Audio seems to go thru firmware updates from time to time, the updates apparently effect the performance of the unit, not just features. I've read that prior versions of the firmware might have made some music sound harsh, not the case with the 1.2.1 version shipped on my DAC.