Processor/AVR help and suggestions

Hey everyone, I was hoping to start a discussion and gets some thoughts on a new processor or AVR. I just sold off my Meridian G68 and HD621 and have about $4500 to spend. In terms of the use, I would say the most important to me is 2 channel sound quality, then surround sound. We spend about 70% of our surround sound time on DirecTV, 20% on Netflix streaming, and about 10% on watching blu-ray movies. I will pop in a concert blu-ray from time to time. I have a 5.1 set up at the moment, but will move to a 7.1 when we get into a new house next year.

The two options I was thinking of is either getting a mid-level processor that will decode the latest codecs via HDMI, and getting a really nice 2 channel preamp and using the pass through for music sessions and the processor for TV and movies. The other option would be getting a kick ass processor to do both. What are the forums thoughts on this? I would love recommendations for the mid level processor that has the pass through option. Balanced inputs are a must for my fronts.

In terms of the one box option, I am looking at the McIntosh MX121, Anthem D2V 3D, Krell Foundation, and the Marantz 8801. Thoughts on the 2 ch quality of those?

My current equipment:
B&W N802's, HTM1, and SCMS
2x McIntosh MC352's
McIntosh MC7205
Oppo 103D
ever43
In brief:

integrate your existing 2 channel into the 7.1 channel rig

In detail:

I had the top Cambridge AZUR AVR and it's matched Bluray player in a discrete 7.1 HT system (both the HT electronics and 7.1 speakers were separate and discrete from my 2 channel audio setup). It was clumsy having two discrete systems ( audio and HT), so I took the big step to upgrade and consolidate as follows:

Keep my REGA Osiris int. amp / REGA Isis valve cdp as my 2 channel but integrate them into my HT as follows:

(1) replace the existing AVR and BR player and 7.1 ML speakers (the full discrete system)
(2) bought a quality 7.1 preamp/processor for HT and surround sound recordings ...NuForce AVP 18 .., a terrific kit and as the CODECS change, it will be the disposable
(3) Bought the ARCAM Bluray player .... A step up (not subtle) to the Cambridge. It us used strictly for HT and surround sound recordings
(4) use the Rega Osiris 2 channel integrated amp via its direct pass through from the NuForce setting as the existing LF and RF speaker power amp.
(5) bought a separate used quality 3 channel power amp (Audio Refinement / YBA) for the Centre Channel and LB and RB surround speakers.
(6) bought a separate used matched 2 channel power amp (Audio Refinement / YBA) to power the side surround speakers.
(7) bought same manufacturer new CC and four new surround speakers (lower on the $$ food chain then my existing 2 channel L and R but still the same brand for synergy ).
(8) bought new hi-end quality ICs and power cables and speaker cables and HDMIs to hook it all up. (Kept all the existing Cables in the 2 channel rig of course)
(9) bought a Vandersteen subwoofer for HT exclusively ( not used in 2 channel mode)

Result:

-- my 2 channel audio system stands alone for critical 2 channel audio but the integrated amp also serves it's role in HT when I switch it over to direct pass through from the AV preamp/processor when HT requires.
-- The NuForce preamp/proc controls everything on its remote when engaged. It has all the latest CODECS and has only HDMI connectors And waves all the legacy ones.

Advantage :

(A) with separates the "disposable " to-be- upgraded eventually portion down the line is the AV preamp/proc without disturbing the rest
(B) The performance upgrade using the separates is graphic .... Stunning rather .
I agree with AKG, but took a different path. Stereo from an Ayre C-5xeMP, an Oppo BDP-105, and a Parasound JC-3 phono stage connect to a JC-2 preamp. The Oppo stereo uses a by-pass input to the JC-2, surround goes directly to the Proceed HPA amps, SW to a Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager. In addition to providing excellent AV, the Oppo does speaker management and provides DACs for a DirecTV HD-DVR.

I rely on the Ayre and Thorens for stereo, the Oppo for surround and HT. A Proceed Amp 2 drives the rear speakers, but I rarely turn it on, and I deactivated the center channel. I control everything with a Logitech Harmony One remote.

The Oppo is sufficiently inexpensive to be expendable in the event of a major technological development I feel I must have, but it plays Blu-rays with the latest codecs and provides a beautiful image to a 100" screen. For CDs and SACDs, it's no match for the Ayre, but it's no slouch either. Opera on Blu-ray is a treat.

db.
Don't overlook the Theta Casablanca processors. They're easy to set up and IMHO the 2 Channel stereo is hard to match.
I have used the precursor to the Marantz (?8800), the Meridian G61, and the Anthem 2DV. The video for the Marantz and Anthem were excellent, especially the Anthem. I was not pleased with the audio for any of the three, particularly 2 channel sound. I bit the dust and bought an used Meridian 861v8 (and HD 621) which is outstanding in 2ch and surround. A earlier version 861 is in budget for you.