Possible Desktop Speakers?

I have been looking around a lot after my mini maggies thread to see if any speakers would be a better choice. Honestly, though I have no clue what to really look for in a speaker. So here I am hoping to get some ideas from the forum members. The room is mid/large (17 feet by 24 feet and its a rectangle with one corner chopped off). I have seen KEF LS50's, Peachtree D5, and Focal electra 1008 BE on the internet. Are any of these better then the mini maggies in a decently large room?
jkman
Ancient Audio makes really good powered speakers for just this purpose. They have been reviewed in 6Moons and are sold in th US by Stereo Desk of Boston.
Jim, a point that needs to be clarified further is where you will be listening FROM.

Will you be doing any serious or semi-serious listening from positions other than at the desk? In other words, does sound quality at positions elsewhere in the room matter? If so, what is the furthest distance you anticipate listening from? And does sound quality off axis matter (i.e., when you are positioned off to the side, relative to the direction at which the speakers are aimed)?

Regards,
-- Al
Hello everyone I wanted to thank everyone for their input thus far.

Doggiehowser I appreciate the recommendations. I will take a peak at them.

GSM18439 Thanks for the recommendation.

Al - Good question. For the most part I will be listening to them while someone else is watching tv (wife or kid). I could see myself hearing a good song or whatnot and spinning the speakers to share.
Harbeth P3esr will work well for what you're trying to accomplish. You can add a sub later if you feel you need one. Pair them with a Luxman of LFD integrated amp and a good source.