Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Mitch2,
My responses are out of synch with your questions because I am currently living/working in the Middle East so there is anywhere from a 9 to 12 hour time difference, so please bear with me. The Antipodes requires a hard wire Ethernet connection. Once connected you control it wirelessly over the network using an Android or Apple device. I use an iPad. You can stream with the DX, but I do not believe you can download from iTunes or any other source directly to the DX hard drive. I could be wrong on this, but I have not seen a way to do it. When I download I use my laptop and then drag the files over the network to the DX. Let me know if you have any other questions
I too agree with Steve Nugent. Servers are too new and they are constantly changing and being outdated quickly. My personal experience demonstrates the benefit of each mod for your server may pay dividends based on how the DAC (USB)/Renderer (Ethernet) implements the input hardware. The better the dac interface design, the less audible benefit gained from improvements upstream.

I have no experience with Antipodes but value Steve's insight, which has been consistently beneficial over the years.

Over on Jplay.eu a discussion regarding a to b comparison between a dual server (Control and playback) with Windows 2012 + Jplay + Audio Phil OS Optimizer vs. the $17,000 Aurender (which was offered at a discounted price) demonstrated marginal to major benefits on all fronts favoring the lesser expensive home build server.

The server for me is a continuous experience where I have changed and modified the server over the years at an expense well over most of these commercial servers mentioned in this thread. Honestly, I feel I should have just purchased an Aurender or Antepodes. However, to do so would limit my ability to adapt to new technologies.

Speaking with folks over in Asia, they have moved away from the sever altogether.

I personally believe part of the reason why Steve's Mac Mini sounds as good as it does is how well the ODSE implements the USB interface. Waversa also does this extremely well. Their Ethernet input is a magnitude better over their USB input. Because of this, I am favoring an internal Ethernet to I2S on the ODSX. Steve's external Ethernet to I2S with linear PS could be a major gain for dacs with I2s input.

With these dacs, the sound signature settings of Audiophile optimizer creates no sonic difference in my system. The USB cable was minimal change. $40 switch PS to Battery PS to LPS - minimal change.

My recommendation is this: find the dac that you enjoy most. Then if the USB interface is well designed, you will save substantial cash avoiding other improvements. If not, consider an Offramp 6 (YES, Six - it is coming soon) or Sonicweld Diverter before you make improvements in the server.
"My Mac Mini beats practically every server except for the Antipodes"

Steve: Can you name the servers that were beaten by your Mac Mini?
Totally unrelated question for you tube guys;

I need some help. I'm in the process of adding some audiophile related decor accessories to my almost complete listening room. I'd love a bunch of no longer functioning, used up output tubes:

6C33C, 300B, 845, PX-25, KT-66/88, giant Kronzilla tubes, etc.

I'm glad to pay something reasonable plus shipping.

If anyone has any, or knows where I can get them please PM me.

Sorry to hijack my own thread. Lol.

Now back to dac's and servers.