Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
I should add that I chose the OWC drive because it is very quiet. Others I've tried, even from OWC, have been unacceptably loud. Be sure to listen for yourself, or check noise ratings or reviews. Some disk fans sound like background static when you're listening to music.
Have you guys seen this:
http://www.changstar.com/index.php?topic=2047.0

Does not do DSD but it may be really great....one review said Bricasti was in the league with Empirical.....well, one guy here says Yggdrasil is better than Bricasti....we shall see....certainly a nice price point. And cheap enough to mod. I want one to tweak....send it now!
Ric - I'm also very intrigued by the Yggdrasil DAC. I just contacted Schiit for an update on its expected availability, and they responded "End Q1". Stay tuned for additional user feedback and reviews at that point.
Thanks to all for your advice on drives etc....Steve has gone above and beyond helping me out. I finally got the server up and working today with the DAC. I don't have the short block yet as Steve has to make it. I still have to burn everything in, but I will say after a few hours of listening for fun, I'm really excited. I can already see that it has the bones to become e SPECIAL system. I have Vandy Treos' (about to trade in for the CT version I believe) and an Ayre AX7. The server is the 2009 mac mini with the Hynes power supply and all of Steve's cables..
I relearned today that when something isn't working, and it should be, just keep moving stuff around and see if it changes.

I couldn't figure out why this Antipodes DX music server that everyone is raving about was not sonically beating my Mojo Mac mini. The DX sounded good, but not great, although it was a touch smoother, but it was certainly not as dynamic as the mini, or as extended, or with as much resolution...bummer.

I received some Furutech fuses yesterday and proceeded to put two 2A Furutech fuses in the DX (yes, it takes two), then I remembered that when I first set up the DX, I did not have enough power cords so I had used an old 14awg SJT Belden cord with molded ends. Therefore, I took the time to build up a power cord from bulk Neotech NEP-3002, an 11awg cord made with UP-OCC copper wire. I used Furutech FI-25(G) connectors.

Well, to cut to the chase, the DX now sounds waaay better and yes, it rocks. I am sitting here listening to "Blues for the Lost Days," "Kids Got the Blues," and others from John Mayall's 70th birthday bash at head banging volumes, and I doubt whether I have ever heard this stuff sound better in my system. For something a little more acoustic, Warren Haynes' Benefit Concert #4 with Sons of Ralph, and many others, is also sounding very nice.

The DX is tonally rich and has an analog-like coherency. It sounds controlled at all volumes. With the new fuses and cord, it now seems plenty extended and well-balanced. For some reason the mini previously sounded more dynamic and had more bass drive. Things are now closer, but the mini is still louder at the same volume setting for some reason. Bass from the mini is very hard hitting while from the DX it is a bit fuller but perhaps not as well defined, hopefully this will improve. The DX reminds me of my former MUSE digital player in that it is well balanced across all frequencies but seems more focused on the midrange, which is dense and vibrant. The very high end and low end seem to be supportive of what's going on in the middle octaves. This is not a bad thing and in my experience is a good characteristic for long-term satisfaction.

The Mojo mini server still sounds great, and I have more comparing to do but, for the first time since the DX arrived, I suspect I have a new server. More to come.