Sloped baffle

Some great speakers have it, some don't. Is it an important feature?
psag
Wasn't Jon Dalqhuist's DQ-10 an early attempt at time coherence? And, ditto, Wilson's Franken-speaker, the Whamm?
It's been so long since I heard either speaker I couldn't say how either stands up today. My concern, in theory, would be that multiple drivers, with a bunch of different crossovers, adds more complications to the affair. But, I guess, as they say, in practice, theory and practice aren't the same.
For a ubitiquous speaker that shows good time alignment, look no further than Vandersteen Model 2. A fair speaker for the price, but a hooded, somewhat grainy sound in the mids and highs with bass that sounds like a cardboard box. So time alignment it has. OK sound for the price. But nothing more than OK. If time alignment were so important, how can this speaker sound so ordinary, so mediocre?

Because extension matters, driver resonance matters, driver distortion matters, driver symmetry of motion matters, overall harmonic distortion matters, intermodulation distortion matters, box colorations matter......and we can go on and on.

So there you have a great example: a manufacturer that makes a barely passable (to my standards) time coherent speaker that I would never own, and he makes a fantastic, state of the art speaker that I would be happy to own. Any more demonstration needed that time coherence is not the most driving factor in the sound?
07-05-14: Kiddman
For a ubitiquous speaker that shows good time alignment, look no further than Vandersteen Model 2............
So there you have a great example: a manufacturer that makes a barely passable (to my standards) time coherent speaker........
Kiddman, you are screwing up again!!
In your 1st sentence you wrote that the Vandy Model 2 has TIME ALIGNMENT.
In a sentence much you lament by saying that the Vandy Model 2 is TIME COHERENT (which is wrong) & how could it be so bad sounding.
The Vandy Model 2 is time-aligned & that's it. The Vandy Model 2 (therefore) is NOT time-coherent.
Time aligned speakers are NOT necessarily time-coherent.
The other way is true - time-coherent speakers are time-aligned.

Ever since you participated in this thread, you have been NOTHING but negative - casting doubt on this subject matter & being insulting - and, yet, you have contributed NOTHING & no information to this thread/subject matter. By reading your posts, other Audiogon members gain no new information except determine that you are a stubborn 'nay-sayer' with perhaps little experience. If you have no positive contribution to make, go find another place to spend your time rather than driving off the other members who come here to learn something new & different. Your negativism benefits nobody....
And, don't cast doubt on my experience & education, you jerk!
Bombaywalla, please list the major speaker brands that are time and phase coherent. At this point, I am aware of three brands: Vandersteen, Thiel and GMA. Are there others?

The reason I ask is because I'd like to check area dealers who sell time and phase coherent models and maybe do some comparative auditioning. The other alternative is audio shows.

Thanks
Kiddman,

You are absolutely right. Solving one issue (If at all, in this case) , while creating many others is a far cry from good engineering, or good sounding loudspeakers. People who get stuck behind “critical” issues, usually do not see the entire forest. Move on, you are wasting good ink.