Sold speakers you really enjoyed?... But why?

Has anyone ever sold speakers you "really" liked for various reasons. Many members may rightfully respond".... are you crazy after all the looking and comparing" However such a rote answer, does not answer the thread

Why did you sell them?? 1)You needed the money?? 2)Were moving a long distance? 3)Too big (or small) for the new living space?? 4)Just wanted to own a speaker that was newer, different and sounded better??

Unfortunately I will have to dealer with reasons 2 and 3 in the a few months. Nevertheless, I could sell them local and buy the same when I am settled

However, the more interesting and provocative reason for this thread is #4....the itch, bug, jonesing for something "new", and possibly "better" in sound quality.

All opinions, comments, real life stories welcomed!!!

sunnyjim
Wow Timrhu!

50 speakers in 15 years? That is one pair of speakers every 3.6 months! I'm curious as to how you were able to appreciate the sound of each pair in such a short time?

Honestly interested, not trying to be a smart-ass.
Kiko65

Kilo, Your question made me take a few minutes and count them. I came up with 48 speakers, a couple of them were repeats. I'm sure I missed a few which would bring the actual total to 50, "wow" is right.

As for appreciating the sound of a speaker, I would say between 5 to 10 hours is all that's required. Especially when the listening is done in your room with your system components and choice of music. YMMV

Some of these speakers were in use less than a week, some were purchased just to try out with little expectation they would stay. Most were purchased in an attempt to upgrade. Early on I found The Meadowlark Kestrel speaker which just sounded right to my ears and sensibilities. The quest was to better their sound. A few speakers stayed in the system for 6 months or so but I would eventually stick the Kestrels back in and fall in love again.
I now cycle in a pair of Soliloquy 5.0s or Thiel CS 1.6s for a slightly different flavor.
Timrhu, I appreciate your response. It's hard for me to audition a speaker for just 6 - 8 hours and familiarize myself with them well enough. I feel more comfortable keeping them for at least a month or so before I make a conscientious decision. Congrats on your Thiel CS 1.6s, they are remarkable speakers for the price.
I think we've had this discussion before Shakey! I auditioned the GMA Eos HD, and although I cannot rule out bad dealer set up, I was not remoely tempted. I'd have said "edgy"; since you think the PBNs "plodding," and I hear "natural" and "relaxed," I'm guessing we've got different ears.

J
Timrhu, I appreciate your response. It's hard for me to audition a speaker for just 6 - 8 hours and familiarize myself with them well enough. I feel more comfortable keeping them for at least a month or so before I make a conscientious decision. Congrats on your Thiel CS 1.6s, they are remarkable speakers for the price.
Kiko65

Kiko, have you never walked into a dealer showroom and listened to a speaker and decided within a few minutes whether or not the speaker could be a contender? It's the same thing for me except I don't have a showroom to visit.

A couple examples are the Dynaudio 1.3SE and the Sequerra SET7 MK6. Both of these speakers have been well reviewed, although the Sequerra was also panned by at least two reviewers. With the Dynaudio I could hear the virtues of the speaker and really tried hard to like it. It was also a thing of beauty to look at. Unfortunately it just didn't work in my room/system. I kept turning the volume down, not a good sign.

The Sequerra speaker, on the other side, was just awful. I know some people here enjoy that speaker, but for me it like I was listening to music through my laptop speakers.

I do enjoy the Thiel speakers. And for what I paid, $400 for the pair with the optional outriggers, a super bargain. When I saw them listed by a seller less than 50 miles away I did not hesitate. Almost asked him if he meant $400 per speaker.

Sold Sonus Faber Stradivari's to move up to Sonus Faber Aida's. Huge mistake. They didn't work in my room and I had no way to test drive the Aida's ahead of time. The Strads on the other hand were perfect in my room and likely would still have them now if not for that mistake.