Stereo Times Review of the Apogee Acoustics Diva

Hi folks, I found this excellent review of the Apogee Diva by Christiaan Punter for Stereotimes. Christian compares new and refurbed Duettas & also provides pics of the crossovers as well as setup advice. Highly recommended if you're an Apogee fan!
melbguy1
No problem, man. As they say, "things happen"

I can believe that. I should have spent a bit more and got the Duettas. But, hindsight's 20/20. In the other thread, I commented on the audition of the Divas back in '88, and I was very impressed. Unfortunately I didn't have the room for those...

Yes it is. Those speakers have stood the test of time. So have certain JBL and Klipsch models too.
Dave, I had a look at your system. You're right, the JBL's are a bit like a young Shiraz, big bold and full of character. You've got a simple, but fun system. I'm also trying to reduce my box count. Less is more as they say. Congrats!
Melbguy1, to hear my personal opinion of Apogees take a look at my response to the other ongoing thread here entitled "TSW Apogee Diva Ultimates Any Good"? I will add to it that, as I had mentioned before, I think the room size, in conjunction with ideal electronics and careful placement will be the deciding factor in which model Apogees you choose...
As for electronics, my Tube Research Labs are also something of a 'niche' product in as much as it is a small, hand - built designer product as compared to something like the excellent Conrad Johnsons you mention (I am a former CJ owner and LOVED my Premier 12 amps which I would never have given up if it hadn't been to use them as $$$$ for their replacements, my current TRL monos...).
Paul, (Mr. TRL) isn't especially 'entwined' with reviews, advertisements...or even touting measurements...it's more a word-of-mouth type company who simply crafts his product sort of the old fashioned point to point (tedious!) way and lets his products speak for themselves. Great stuff, long wait list...very nice guy. Oh yes and also: end of road/"done looking" performance.
Unfortunately I have never heard the Vitus amps but I do agree with your philosophy about all the seemingly less important factors adding up to make a REAL difference.
Stick with it.
Thanks Melbguy1! I appreciate that. Yeah, but wait until I upgrade the amp and preamp, haha. It won't be real soon...I'm still saving up my pennies! lol. Well, it's simple because it's what I need and what I was able to afford at the time. I only play LPs and CDs, and I don't do surround sound. Therefore, you have what's there. I would like a nice analog eq, but bass and treble control would work. The preamp that I'm thinking of getting has them, so that'll take care of that. Anyway, take care and happy listening.
@Lissnr, yeah the TSW Apogee thread is a good read. I agree, for super speakers like refurbed Diva's or Infinity IRS-V's, you're best to build a dedicated listening room of ideal dimensions optimized for dipoles. Also, both the above speakers like plenty of power. And as much as I love my Vitus SIA-025, i'd definitely be looking to upgrade to something like the Vitus SS-102/SL-102 amps to drive those speakers.

From what you described, the TRL amps offer great sound for the money which is what you want. I would only buy niche gear like that 2nd hand because they're not an established company and would likely have poorer resale value. For that reason if I had more room & wanted a tube setup, i'd go for 2nd hand CJ Gat/Art amps.

You mean fortunately you haven't heard the Vitu$ amp$!! Thanks for kind words.