Sony HAP-Z1ES Hi-Res Music Player RMAF 2013

Did anyone get a chance to hear this digital player. Seems similar to the Bryston BDP-2. I am very interested in how the upsampled DSD sounded.
yyzsantabarbara
01-26-14: Mr_bill wrote

Kal,
You should review the Sony Hap Z1ES.

I am doing so.
Kr4, in an earlier post you wrote "it's not a dac or a renderer." The DAC part of that statement confuses me a bit. When starting with digital source material (in this case, computer files no less) I thought there always had to be a DAC somewhere in the equation for sound to emerge from a loudspeaker at the other end. Is that not true?

My confusion also comes from statements on Music Direct's website that read "The Sony HAP-Z1ES is a true professional reference DAC" and "This digital to analog converter effectively reduces ..." and "This ideal D/A conversion system combines ..." Are these marketing statements inaccurate?

If you have the opportunity in your review, I am hoping you can clear up this confusion because as it is the answer to the question of whether the HAP-Z1ES does or does not contain a DAC is about as clear as mud.
GZ3827, I think he means that the unit has an internal DAC of course, but no DAC function for external sources, like a cd player or for streaming music sources like Rhapsody or Pandora from a computer or a squeezebox.
Mitch4t is correct. You cannot use it "just" as a DAC although it contains one.
It's easy, just go to the Sony website and see photos of the rear of the unit yourself. No inputs.

There is no mention of it being able to function as a DAC for an external transport or other sources.