Pro-ject Debut Carbon vs Debut III ??

What's the difference and which one is better? Worth it?? Thanks
abrew19
No issue with the arm. I have been running a Debut 3 for 5 years. Probably have 5,000 hours omit with no issues. I also have higher end tables to compare and no LPs have been damaged. Project makes a very fine budget record deck. But yes the Carbon is the way to go if you afford to.
I have used a Debut II for 5 years on my 3000 LP collection with no issues. The arm does not suck. It is quite functional and work well with your record assuming you have a well matched cartridge (I use a At95ce from LP Gear). I also use the heavier counterweight which I got when I used an Ortofon 2M red.

For sure get the Carbon. It is outstanding value. I also own other better tables including a higher Project model.
Thanks for the feedback all. Despite the extra $100 clearance savings the Debut III carries vs. the full price of the Debut Carbon, you are all unanimous in your recommendation of the Carbon. That's a pretty strong recommendation.

What about the Carbon vs the Rega RP3? The RP3 is a little over twice the price but is also very highly recommended. What will spending more get me? That glass platter sure looks impressive...

I know it sounds like I'm all over the place here. Truthfully I can afford a more expensive turntable but when it comes to vinyl I'm a very casual listener because I have a small collection of old records (that probably need a good cleaning) and don't plan on investing much in more vinyl. Just a way for me to enjoy some certain recordings on occasion that I enjoy more on vinyl than on digital. 90% of my listening will remain on CD/SACD.
The Debut Carbon is so good at $399 there's really nothing to discuss until you get to the RP3. I took some of my LPs to a hi-fi shop to audition an amplifier and I was *shocked* at how good the Carbon is. It's my unequivocal recommendation at $500-600 and under. The smartest $100 you can spend is to get a Debut Carbon over a Debut III.

Just a way for me to enjoy some certain recordings on occasion that I enjoy more on vinyl than on digital. 90% of my listening will remain on CD/SACD.
Maybe not, if you get a good enough turntable. Check the sales figures; LP sales have handily eclipsed SACD as the high-res medium of choice.