VPI Classic platter - is center milled?

Is the vpi classic platter milled with a depression in the center? vpi recommends not using a mat, but my platter has a slight rise in the center.

With the provided ring clamp and gasket, vinyl stays 2 mm above platter with a lot of wobble. If I use the rubber mat, it seats the vinyl firmly.

Thanks for input.
abp689
I just purchased the classic 1 month ago. Could there have been a manufacturing change?

That's the million dollar question!
Bif....lets see now.... if indeed there is a change to having the spindle area raised, that would mean that with the outer ring and center weight applied, there would be greater tension on the record...more downward force. ..may be a good idea. I suppose if its a gradual slope, and the record plays well, its fine. If its more than a gradual slope, and that azimuth is affected, I would question it. I find that proper azimuth makes a marked difference for the better. Isn't splitting the proverbial hair fun? I would guess that the sound isn't much different..like the black wrap, or the change from a 9 inch to 10.5 inch arm.
Hi all, I just bought a scout 1.1, it indeed has a raised center portion which is roughly label size. It is intended to be used with the included rubber mat according to my conversations with VPI. I have a relatively inexpensive cork mat with a label recess installed upside down on the platter and it sounds great. I just hated that rubber mat getting static filled and then sticking to the record when removed. From my understanding the classic platter, a future upgrade? is intended to be used mat less and has a milled out portion for the label. I intend to do some critical listening comparisons between the stock and cork mat but have been having too much fun listening to records so far to bother. I will update when I do.
I received my new Classic 2 on Dec 6, 2013 and the platter has the recessed center to accommodate the label, not raised whatsoever. This is the latest version with motor/pulley mounted rear left and silver push on/off button front left on top of plinth.
The rubber mat that gets static attractive to the record when you lift the record off of the platter has been replaced by a non-attractive rubber mat.