VPI Classic platter - is center milled?

Is the vpi classic platter milled with a depression in the center? vpi recommends not using a mat, but my platter has a slight rise in the center.

With the provided ring clamp and gasket, vinyl stays 2 mm above platter with a lot of wobble. If I use the rubber mat, it seats the vinyl firmly.

Thanks for input.
abp689
I received my new Classic 2 on Dec 6, 2013 and the platter has the recessed center to accommodate the label, not raised whatsoever. This is the latest version with motor/pulley mounted rear left and silver push on/off button front left on top of plinth.
The rubber mat that gets static attractive to the record when you lift the record off of the platter has been replaced by a non-attractive rubber mat.
I have the new Classic Ceramic coated platter. It does indeed have a shallow label sized indentation on it. The platter is totally flat, except for this depression.

I have found that the rubber mat does nothing for the sound. I use the one piece clamp, but found that it does not work properly with the mat. Without the mat the record edge tends to rise a bit when the clam is applied. Makes sense since the clamp is pushing the center of the record down into the shallow depression.

Best for me is to use the rubber washer and put the clamp on lightly (not too tight).
Mine is also the ceramic coated one....in case you're wondering, the ceramic coated and without the coating sounds the same, however, the ceramic coating eliminates the fingerprints and looks better. I don't use a washer, just the anti-static mat which sounds the same as the static one,..and use the periphery ring, and the center weight.
I do believe that the classic platters definitely benefit from the periphery ring. I don't have one, but it is obvious to me that the record would lay flatter on the platter with that ring on it.