Is a tube phono better than ss?

I love the sound of tubes but wonder if its the best route for vinyl playback?
52tiger
"Also a factor is whether the solid state is Class A circuit design"

I seem to recall all SS phono stages and SS Pre-amp circuits run in class A, so I don't think that's it.

I've had tubed and solid state gear. My tubed stuff was CJ Premier and Rogue and my SS was Adcom, Bryston, ML, and now Pass. I have always found SS to be quieter than tubed. Disclaimer- I never had a tubed phono stage but frankly, I think I'm going to be buried with my Pass phono stage as I don't think that it can ever be pried away from me, even from my cold dead hands.

But to get to the OP, I don't think any definitive statement of superiority can be made between tubed and SS. There are better and worse implementations of each. And even with a great implementation, you have no guarantee of success as system synergy forever lurks.

Best idea is to make a short list and try to audition with your gear in your environment.

Good luck and cheers!
YEah, I'm still where I started at the beginning of this thread. Each is different each has +s/-s. Neither is inherently "better". Choose your poison....

Need/expense of maintaining low noise tubes for phono is the biggest downside in either case for most. Good SS phono is more care/maintenance free. Yes there are many very GOOD ones!

Audiophiles are a picky and opinionated bunch. There is not a lot that all agree on, but they do tend to like tubes and phono more so than most. SO I think there is a bias that way there as a group compared to the norm. Myself included.

Audiophiles are also more willing to drop a ton of cash on their gear. That's a big factor as well! The only thing cost effective about tubes and phonos these days is the abundance of cheap used vinyl out there and the need for those with large vinyl libraries already to protect their investment.
Salectric, a lot has to do with how 'fast' the preamp is. If you have poor slewing rates that won't go well with active EQ IMO.

I also find almost any preamp with active EQ to be a little brighter (my guess is due to odd ordered harmonics but if so they are so low as to not show up on conventional test gear).
Cheap vinyl and protecting ones investment in a record library are both phono things. Tubes will almost always ADD cost, so one should be confident that the additional investment is a good one for them. THat's all that matters.
I found atmospheres post most informative. Having said that I have owned several phono stages, some tube some ss. My last two both ss. Both extremely quiet with no pops or ticks. Both outstanding units. Both ss done right. My issue with tube set ups and why I no longer am an owner is the constant need for repair or replacement and the energy inefficiency along with the extensive heat they put out. I have read many complaints from audiogoners about how bad vinyl is do to pops and clicks. I had never, in the last 15yrs or so, experienced their complaints so always felt they were wrong or doing something wrong. But thanks to Atmosphere explanation I now understand it and why quality and engineering matter. Like all things there are infinite ways of getting from point A to point B. Not all equal but when done right all enjoyable.