setting azimuth

I want to use a volt meter to set my cartridge azimuth. When doing so what do I do with the probes to connect then to the amps speaker terminals? Just touch the probe to the post?
bfin3
This is getting to be more than I bargained for ha! Are high pitched vocals or instruments more helpful?
Yes. ;-)

What's important is that you know how big the sound source *should* appear to your ears.

A solo violin or clarinet is good, unless it's multi-miked or miked so close (think Heifetz) that it's unavoidably larger than life. A solo mezzo or soprano recorded in a live space (not a booth) also works well. Higher pitched piano notes work too, if the system has enough resolution to portray all the different sounds that make up a piano note.

The most challenging things I own with these types of sounds are Harmonia Mundi LPs of solo counter-tenor accompanied by alto recorder, recorded on two mikes in a vast, echo-ey stone space. A proliferation of similarly pitched tones, differing only slightly in timbre, is followed and surrounded by multiple echoes. All these similar waveforms want to interfere with each other, which makes a torture test few systems can handle. Most collapse into fingernails-on-slate screechiness. If a system is up to playing these LPs clearly (I've only heard 2 or 3 that can), they're a superbly revealing test of azimuth (and most other parameters).
You are better off getting the software from Feickert. I could never get it, despite repeated requests, from Avatar Acoustics.