Audio and Wine?

I was wondering whether any audiophiles out there share my wine obsession? I�ve found recently that my interest in wine and audio is very similar �

both eat up a lot of my disposable income
are very expensive and technical
very difficult to downgrade (or drink lesser wine) as time goes by.

Also, both interests (or obsessions) attract some scoffing or ridicule from non-believers. At least with audio, one has what could be called an investment, but with wine, the pleasures are more ephemeral. Anyway, are there any other wine aficionados out there? If so, what are your three favorite wines? Mine are:

(1) Neiabum Copolla Directors Reserve (both cabernet and merlot - $30).

(2) Groth Vineyards - just about anything � Cabernet ($48), Merlot ($35), Chardonnay ($25) or Sauvinon Blanc ($17).

(3)Whitehall Lane (Merlot - $22).

Best I�ve had � Whitehall Lane Reserve Cabernet �95 ($125).
128x128outlier
Life is too short for a cheap wine. Or a nasty hi-fi system. I'm a red guy. My current favs. are Italians 'cause they're so reasonable. So three wines ...

Centine (sometimes called a 'Super Tuscan' which is a rather flash title for a cheap wine), $8

Any recent Valpolicella Ripassa, like Zenato or Tommasi, $18

Ridge Geyerville (any year but my preferance is for the 94), $30

Best I ever had was a choice between an '82 Margaux, $$$$$ !, or something obscure I had in a restaurant in Potugal, < $20.
Yes, there's nothing like cracking a fresh box - none of that old stuff for me - of Hearty Burgundy, fireing up the old Technics receiver, throwing five identical copies of the Clash's "London Calling" onto the Yamaha five disc changer and settling in for a long evening of listening with my good dog "Lucky" by the side of my chair. Cheers.
Good to see all my fellow AgoN members who also have a passion for wine. My wife and I just got back from a quick get-a-way up north (I live in Los Angeles) and spent some time in one of my favorite wine regions ...Paso Robles. I agree w/ Angela100 the BoonnyDoon Big House Red as well as their Barbera are outstanding for the money. I am a member of their wine club and am very seldom disapointed. Another great wine in the price v. value department is Navarro (Mendincino). Their current edition 7 of their Red Table Wine "Navarougue is an absolute winner....it sold out in a month (bought 2 cases)....great every day wine. ......and yes I am a Reidel owner as well, but since I have broken too many I am going to have to switch back to the Crate and Barrel $4.00 faux edition and break out the Reidel's (no pun intended) for special occasions.

FYI....Below are some of the "hot" Paso Robles wines I discovered on my trip or have been drinking lately:

L'Aventure 1999 Zin and 2000 Syrah and if you can find it L'Aventure "Optimus" 52% Syrah, 44% Cab Sav, 4% Zin.

Garretson 2002 Viognier, Fralich Vineyard and Aisling Syrah....Awesome!

Saxum Syrah....haven't tried it...available in Sept...but according to everyone I talked to in Paso this is the hottest Syrah produced to date in the region.

Dover Canyon 2000 Cujo Zin...gretat Zin @$18.00...also try theri Rhone blend.

Anything by Turley, Dark Star, Adelaida, Norman, Eberle, Tobin James, and Justin are high quality as well.

Also try the Alban Vineyards Estate Viognier and "Riva Estate Syrah" These wines are crafted and grown in the Edna Valley (inland from San Luis Obispo) and John Alban is known as the father of California Rhone varietals in the state.

Also.....thought I should let everyone know that I am under 40 as well.....31.....good to see the youger generation enjoying fine wine and fine audio. Who says the hobby is dying and not engaging the younger generation!

Jond, after being invloved in technology for the last several years (worked for UUNET which was aquired by WorldCom...enough said) I would like to take a crack at that the wine business....any advice?