Porqupine Tree

I discovered this band by accident a couple of years ago while streaming Radio Paradise. I immediately bought the latest lp out at that time which was "Signify". I became a fan and also noticed how good this recording sounded and that the vinyl was of high quality.

Two years later, I've bitten the bullet. ( I say this because PT lps are not inexpensive) I ordered the vast majority of PT and one Steven Wilson on vinyl.

This is sort of a pre-auditioning report. It seems that PT has lps out on a couple of different labels. I have three in home now and the lps on "tonefloat" are the flat vinyl profile. Reminiscent of the later Classic label & UHQU MOFI lps. The other label, kscope, seems to be pretty close to flat. The point is, the vinyl sourced for this band is of high quality. (You vinyl people out there know what I mean) You can just "tell" when you have quality vinyl in your hands.

I was surprised that, upon my search, there was no other thread for this fine band out there. I'm looking forward to many hours of splendid listening.
128x128slaw
I don't plan on reviewing each lp here, I will say I started off with "Lightbulb Sun". While it was obvious from my first beginnings, just hearing one song, that this band was special, I can say that this band, while obviously prolific, doesn't get into a rut and "hang on"! The obvious genious of SW is apparent if for no other reason as that the music is flowing, it just continues to flow. Not the same riffs or the same formula over and over. It's new, relevant, and most of all, enjoyable.

Roxy54: Don't be put off by mere words. Investigate for yourself before making a conclusion.
I love their stuff. I only have one of their LP's but have most everything they have done on CD, and a DVD live show. There's not a weak offering among them.
I have a TON of PTree that I've been collecting for the past 8 years or so. I especially like Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream, In Absentia, and Anesthetize.

Many of their albums are available as hi-res multi-channel and they sound *fantastic*. Steven Wilson is, truly, a genius. And he was also chosen to re-mix all of the King Crimson and Jethro Tull albums in multi-channel...
Rlwainwright: I was just getting ready to tell Roxy54 that PT's music is similar to King Crimson.
Roxy54: I, myself, am pretty cynical, but not so much that I'd dismiss by other's (words), a chance to discover a great band.
More to discover