Why Do Musicians Still Need Record Companies?

With the proliferation of downloading & streaming of digital music...why does an artist still need a record company? I mean, if it's just a digital file, they could sell it themselves online.
128x128mitch4t
"10-01-14: Martykl
Zd,

I think most data suggests that SQ is the least of the contributors to the problems killing record companies. Consumers overall don't give a sh*t. They want cheap, fast, convenient. Low quality downloads and streams are the fastest growing segments of the business."

I agree. That was my point. Music playback is sold on features, not sound quality. With audio, consumers don't grasp digital quality as they do with other digital products. If you ask the average person about the sound quality of digital music, the typical reaction is "it's digital, so its the best. it's digital, so there's no loss, so it's the best quality.", or other phrases similar to that. Ask the same person why you would want a Playstation 4 when you can get the 3 for less money, they're both digital, and you'll get a completely different answer. Same thing with video and computer products. The average person doesn't understand digital audio quality the same way they do other digital products. For the most part, I think that's the industries fault.
Zd,

If I understand you correctly,you're suggesting that the music industry hasn't made sufficient effort to market sound quality and, if they had (successfully) educated consumers on the subject, they wouldn't be "bleeding to death" (my original phrase). You're point is taken, but - in the big picture - it's hard to see how a better effort would have materially changed the fate of the major labels. Every bit of market research I've seen (and I banked the industry for decades) says that high performance (or hi-rez) formats - at best - offer only a short term sales bump.

SACD (to cite just one example) was Sony's (futile) attempt to sell high quality sound. It was generally acclaimed for performance, assailed for convenience (effectively copy protected) and ended up essentially still born. Even more successful hi-rez roll-outs like Blu-Ray (to use your video example), have proven to provide an early bumps as enthusiasts replace their collections with higher quality versions. From a small early base, rapid growth lasts a few years and then fades. Price premiums are lowered and sales plateau, then fade. That's where Blu-Ray stands today. Like other hi-rez formats, it has demonstrated a limited life span.

BTW, SACD was marketed very aggressively in Japan (where new formats are taken up at a much higher rate than in Europe or the US) and still tanked quickly.

Bottom line: Most people in the business believe that, over the long haul, only a small % of the market will pay a premium for high performance entertainment software. This may be enough to sustain a profitable boutique industry, but there's little evidence that it will support a mass market industry. Hence my original observation about shrinking record companies having little to do with SQ. There's little evidence that there are enough $ chasing SQ to support a mass market record industry that attempts to differentiate itself (from cheaper, lower quality SQ alternatives) on that basis.

BTW, the question has been studied to death. I believe that you'll continue to see proprietary hi-rez music formats (even for downloaded and/or streamed content) because the content companies will seek the short-term sales bump. In the end, I don't believe that they'll ever be viewed as a long term, mass market solution to bringing sufficient $ back to the table to revive the business.
If they want to get rich, they need good promoters and PR people. It all takes money to make money. Historically, thats what a major record company brings to the table beyond the nuts and bolts of producing records, CDs, tapes, whatever the physical format.

Nowadays, physical formats are nice but not necessary, so the only thing left is the money making promo power. You don't have to be a record company to do just that though. ANy large media conglomerate these days would do I suppose.

Has 0 to do with sound quality.
"10-02-14: Martykl
Zd,

If I understand you correctly,you're suggesting that the music industry hasn't made sufficient effort to market sound quality"

Yes.

"and, if they had (successfully) educated consumers on the subject, they wouldn't be "bleeding to death" (my original phrase)."

Probably. We can't predict what didn't happen with 100% accuracy, but I think marketing for quality over features would have made a difference.

"You're point is taken, but - in the big picture - it's hard to see how a better effort would have materially changed the fate of the major labels. Every bit of market research I've seen (and I banked the industry for decades) says that high performance (or hi-rez) formats - at best - offer only a short term sales bump."

Its certainly possible, but we really can't know for sure because they never tried it. The right marketing can pull off some pretty impressive results. Look at every other area of consumer electronics for entertainment. Computers, video games, movies/theater, phones, etc... In every other area, there's a combined effort to market features and quality. Consumers are so much more educated with just about every other type of digital product but audio (and the people who sell it.). If the quality approach worked for every other market segment, why not audio?

I just want to clarity my post. I'm not saying my ideas are the only ones to consider. There are plenty of other factors that will effect the audio market than the quality issue I bring up. I'm just saying to consider it, along with other factors that were brought up in various other posts.