Computer for music only?

Used Lenovo ThinkCentre M91 Desktop PC Intel Core i5 3.1GHz 4GB 320GB HDD Capacity Windows 7 Professional - OEM... any thoughts on this computer for music only
zoot45
A little off topic, got into computer music a year or so ago and bought a 21" iMac specifically for this purpose. I'm using Audionirvana Plus for playback. The user Interface is about a good as it gets, works seamlessly with iPhone and iPad as a remote, sounds very nice as well. No whirling fans either.

Just to try out PC audio i had my IT guy build me a PC specifically for the purpose, with the latest greatest mother board with a digital RCA out directly on the board it self, extra beefy power supply etc. I loaded J River for the playback engine. It sounds very nice too. However the user interface is terrible, maybe the learning curve is greater with this system. Also, wires everywhere, separate monitor, whirling noisy fans.

I do think that the sound is very nice of the PC set-up, however I'd recommend a iMac dedicated playback system over a PC based one any day.

Good Listening

Peter
Peter,

As usual: it depends. My server is a fanless black anodized aluminum box that looks like yet another audio component, with no screen (headless, in PC audio jargon). I control it through an iPad/JRemote and works very well. As clean and silent as it gets, I guess.

Plus I don't have the electrically noisy display and all the other processes not needed for audio. But frankly this is a highly optimized computer. Several people at specialized fora have been moving from optimized Mac Minis to this kind of solution with Windows Server 2012 + Optimizer driven by sound, but it is more work than a plug and play Apple solution, for sure. And probably Apple's interfase is more user friendly - that is one of their key capabilities.

So it depends how interested/willing is one to go into these complications. Like setting up a highly optimized vinyl playback system, I guess.
"Using the same computer for ripping and playback is not ideal. You can rip at any other computer, copy the files into a flash drive, and copy them into the audio computer."

I have not read or seen this comment anywhere else. What is the basis for this claim? I'm a member and frequent participant at ComputerAudiophile and this statement is news to me.
Mwheelerk,

Upfront I'll say I don't exactly remember where I saw this. I thought I saw it at computeraudiophile.com, maybe at Chris' guide to ripping CDs? But you frequent the site and don't remember it. Frankly I don't remember where I did.

My take (and I reckon this doesn't offer a whole lot of support!) is we want to keep any un-needed processes outside of the audio computer so these don't run in the background. Additionally, in my case, I just don't have a CD drive (or any spinning motors) connected to my mobo, so in fact I couldn't rip at that computer. Moreover, these days after having applied the Optimizer in WS2012, my audio computer is only useful as a music box...can't use it as a regular computer anymore.

So the bottom line is I started ripping at a different computer 2+ years ago for what I thought was a good reason at the time, but have now forgotten the reason and anyway now I couldn't rip at my audio computer even if I wanted. Sorry I can't offer better support for my statement, but did offer a honest answer :-)

cheers!
Rip them and play them from the same computer if you like. I did that when I was using an optimized MacBook and then MacMini for computer audio. Just use good ripping software. For PC you would want to use dbpoweramp.

I have since graduated to a NAS with server software and run wired Ethernet to my source.