The most emotional amp out there?

OK gang, I need your votes for the amp you feel that brings the chills, the goosebumps, yes maybe even a teardrop or two when you sit down and listen to your particular music of choice. Although many responders will automatically think of tubes, I do not necessarily share that "prejudice". I'm trying to find that special amp to mate with my Virgo IIs that really takes me to the heart of the music...as opposed to just performing the requisite audiophile tricks (e.g. imaging, soundstage depth, etc.). I'm tired of appreciating the specific virtues of a well known amplifier that I am auditioning but never really being transported to a place where I forget about the gear and simply am enthralled with the music.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy the audiophile thing as much as the next person. But I am searching for the amplifier that will transcend the need to go through the checklist of listening attributes a reviewer does and instead will simply allow me to sit back and just be enveloped by the message that the particular recording artist I am listening to is trying to communicate.

I hope I'm being somewhat inteligible here and thanks for your suggestions.

Gregg
reneaugroup309c
Hands down winner for me is Art Audio Jota (preferably high power version monoblocks)
It would have to be a single ended amp. They convey the right tonal quality that is necessay. The 845 is a good tube at doing that. The 300B not quite as good. For emotions like slam then perhaps some solid state amp.
Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't chime-in with my preference for my David Berning custom choke-loaded 45 SET-ZOTL with battery-power. A one-off variation derived from the Berning Siegfried SET-ZOTL, custom built by David for me a few years ago.

The Type 45 triodes are my favorite, and I'm currently using the Emission Labs Mesh-plates. I use NOS Sylvania for the 6SN7 tubes.

The big thing for me with this amp, is that it gives the "true" Single-Ended-Triode sound, but requires no output tranformer to get in the way of the frequency extremes. This provides the SET "Golden Midrange" for the entire frequency spectrum, instead of limiting that beauty to just the midrange.

It is quite spectacular, when paired with the high-efficiency single driver speakers that are needed for it's very low 2wpc output. Naturally, the very deepest bottom octave is sacrificed(speakers roll-off at 41Hz) in a system of this type, but the rest of the spectrum easily makes up for that(unless you are the most ardent deep bass-freak!) I've seen "bass freaks" forget all about the deep bass when being mezmerized by this system. The coherence and "rightness" of the sound makes you forget all about "parcelizing" the sound, and you just melt into the music.
I'm coming late to this thread, but as the owner of a Linear A (and the writer of one of the more ecstatic reviews of it) I thought I'd chime in.

I think Boy_lah hit the nail on the head. The Linear A emphatically does not sound like a traditional SET amp. In particular it's faster, more transparent, resolving and dynamic. We all know that those characteristics are a double-edged sword, and usually lead to a better sonic than musical presentation. One man's "lush" is another man's "turgid", though. Our perceptions in this area are heavily influenced by our mental wiring, particularly our expectations and what we have been listening to recently.

As the owner of an Audion Silver Night MkII PX25 and a pair of Wavelength Triton 300B's in addition to the Linear A I'm in a position to have experienced the effects of expectation and exposure firsthand. I'd been listening to the PX25 for a long time when the LA arrived, and in comparison the PX25 the LA was like opening a door into a whole new world of physical realism. After I'd listened to the LA exclusively for a couple of months I went back to the PX25 and found a mized bag of impressions. Yes it was richer, and more relaxing to listen to. But balancing that pleasure was a sense that the music had slowed down, and that many of the subtleties of the musical event had gone missing. The musical excitement of the Linear A was replaced by a more gentle, atmospheric quality. And I definitely noticed the loss of frequency extension and dynamics. There seemed to be an extra layer of something betweeen me and the music that robbed it of much of its visceral liveness.

On balance, the presentation you will prefer depends on how and why you listen to music, and your value-set in the rest of your life. For me, clarity, physical palpability, life and drive are very important. Much of the emotional value in a musical performance is carried by the subtleties of the players' phrasing, performance and presentation, and the better I can hear that, the more impact it makes. To me, this is of far greater musical significance than the (admittedly seductive) richness of a traditional large-plate SET.

I am never selling my SET amps, though. It's nice to be able to change the music so completely when the mood strikes, secure in the knowledge that both presentations are good, and for extremely large values of "good" into the bargain.