Rowland --- older amps vs the newer models?

Curious to hear from the Rowland fans with regard to the newest models....501/201 - ICE....I've always heard glowing reports of older Rowland model (single digit ones) but little about the latest. Best to stick with the earlier versions?
hstokar
Of Rowland's current amps, the 201/501 use the ICE amplification circuit and are primarily aimed at home theater and entry-level two channel. At $4k and $7k retail per monoblock pair, they are budget components by traditional Rowland standards. The 300 series also uses the ICE circuit, but is backed by a beefy analog power supply and features the very high parts quality and sophisticated sound one can expect for their retail prices of $15k (302 stereo amp) and $30k monobock pair (301 monos).

Of classic Rowland, the Models 2/6 and 8ti/9ti were very expensive amps featuring super high parts quality and useful and/or innovative features like battery power supplies, input transformers, switchable input impedence and fully differential balanced circuits. They are built like tanks and are very competitive with the current 300 series, just slightly different sounding (they sound remarkably similar to a good tube amp in the midrange). The Model 10/12 are also excellent amps and extremely well built with innovative features (they use switching power supplies that can be retrofitted to the 8ti/9ti), but a bit leaner in the mids as compared to the 6/8ti/9ti.

The amps prior to 1995 (Model 3 and 5) are very well built, but a bit too ripe in the midrange and rolled off in the highs for my tastes. I owned the Model 6 monos with battery power supplies. They are supurb amps that I regret selling (so much so that I may buy them again).
I own a Model 2 with the matching BPS. I've threatened to sell it, but then I hook it up & it just sounds very, very good.
I've heard the new ICE based amps. None of them sound any better than my Model 2.
I've seen Model 2s here for around $2K. If 150 watts into 4 ohms is enough for you, I'd try one.
I own a pair of 201s and have compared the 501s at home. Both sound similar -- tonally well balance with good freq extension, quick and very musical. Although small in size these amps are built solid and look very attractive. They are designed to be left on 24/7 (little current draw) and run very effeciently. I haven't heard the older model JR amps.

Wadia 861>>JR 201s>>B&W804 Spk.
As for the old ones......I would go with the 3s. Not as "rolled off in the highs" as the 5s and 7s are. I mainly prefer it because of the output transistors. And they run cooler.

I won't comment on the ICEpower ones. Some use the ASP series, which has a SMPS on the amp module. Some use a separate SMPS. Vicor, I believe. Not that should matter much to the consumer what the brand is.