Theory about Cary amps and their reviewers

Cary is now one of the older tube companies around from the tube boom in the'90s. My experience with them has been very positive. I wonder if some of the criticisms of them - fat, not extended, slow, etc., are in fact relics of the first reviews in magazines which were so used to solid state and still in the "wattage race". I have heard Rockets and V12's in rock and home theater setting pulling duty that would put solid states to shame. I also notice you never really see those sorts of reviews anymore. Other than making the amps compatable with higher gain devices, so that they can have direct inputs from things like CD's with volume controls, have there been any fundamental changes though? I prefer the slightly older versions with the lower gain input myself, but I understand the rationale.
biomimetic
Biomimetic, I'm not sure if you're just stupid or if you believe that rubbish you just wrote. I have a tube system at work with KT 88's in the amp, and I like it very much. It sounds a lot better than the Cary ever did...

There are a lot of products that are tube based that I like a lot. I would like to sell my Klyne pre-amp and Pass Labs X-Ono and get a Manley Steelhead.

You are typical of the person who turns the initiate off to ever getting inbto this hobby, or to buying tube gear. I have had tube gear in the past, and I own it now. Just because everyone doesn't agree with you, does that make them wrong or are you going through some kind of mental issues where you have to fight with people who you don't know, and about which you know nothing???
You're saying that, as if my experience were invalid because it does not coincide with yours???
Reading through this thread is very interesting. I have owned and auditioned multiple Cary Products. I would also say they are probably not for everyone's taste.

I read Nrchy's comments on his experience and realize there was no Synergy with his system and that is okay. This happens and I have tried gear friends have loved and hated it in my system.

I think equipment choice is as personal as music is and if not more. I know my tastes have changed in my 18 years of this hobby.

I used to frown in Tube systems and owned nothing but solid state setups. The unit that broke the mold was a Conrad Johnson Tube Pre-Amp. A PV10A to be exact. When added to the SS amp I was using, magic just presented itself in my system.

The first Tube Amplifier that just blew me away was a friends SLA-70 Signature. I was using a Bryston at the time and the Cary just made things more REAL and musical. Was it slower sounding than the Bryston, sure, but it made music sound like music where the Bryston just sounded hard.

Still wanting that "sound" out of Solid State, I tried and purchased amplifiers by YBA and Electrocompaniet but still just did not capture what I was looking for. I auditioned two Integrateds by Cary (The SEI-300 and the SLI-80)The SEI clearly sounded a little better than the SLI-80 but it did not make enough power to drive the majority of speakers I was considering.

After further auditions, the SLI-80 won me over. After getting it home and much trial in error in tube rolling. I have captured the "sound" that I was always looking for. Is it the end all in resolution, speed, and detail? Definitely not. Is it slow sounding compared to solid state stuff? Maybe, but I have never found it to be.

All I can say is that Music sounds like music. It has plenty or dynamics and yes my speakers will disappear. I have often seen the same thing said about Sonus Faber speakers are they have a character sound to them. I would have to say the Cary Tubes amp have a similar character of their own.

Love them or hate them, I like the Cary Tube Amplifiers and have not looked for amp upgrade in over 2 years now. I cannot say this about many of the other amplifiers I have owned.

Chris
Hey Chris - I hear you on the 300 vs 80 question. Was not meaning to be really harsh, but I have watched Nrchy do this before. Was not saying anything about valid vs. invalid - I had asked for specifics and none were provided, which is his typical M.O. Bash, no back-up, bash, derail...