VT-100 MkII matches best with what preamp? HELP

Well, I have a Proac Res. 2.5 w/ ARC VT-100 MkII power amp. Now I'm looking for a suit preamp that matches my power amp and the speaker. Please recommend. What I'm looking for is not the most expensive one. I even want to buy a used one. Please advise. It'd be great if you can tell me where I can get a good deal on used preamp that you recommend.

Thank you
ekanit_c
Hi there!

I'm using ARC LS15 with VT100 MkII. Sounds very good. LS15 requires XLR (Balanced) interconnect to connect to the 'direct' input/output.

ARC LS25 and ARC Reference will be even better

Other recommendations that make a big difference to your system:
1)use 'Svetlana' valves 6550C and 'Russian' for smaller valves
2)Also I'd suggest you to use NBS Master III cable. It is relatively expensive but makes a big difference. Or at least Cardas Golden Cross. Do not use Audioquest.

Good luck!
Hello. Nice choices. I noticed another person mentioned the ARC SP9MkIII - I've had one for nine years - with a D125 tube hybrid amp (which does sound quite like your VT100MkII - I auditioned this extensively a few years ago, and found the overall musical picture similar, although your amp has a shade more detail and transparency). The pre-amp has been utterly reliable and has a fantastic phono stage. Some units have a remote too. I also tried the LS15 and that was good too - again no signficant improvement on the SP9MkIII, but it does come standard with a remote.

All the best.
First off, you have great synergy with ProAc and the ARC VT100 MKII. I have been a ProAc fan for years and have used a VT100MKII with 4 different pairs of the ProAc Response series speakers including the Response 3.8 and now the D80. I would agree with the others here that have recommended an ARC tubed preamp. I personally use an ARC Refererence 2 MKI which is a fantastic match for ProAc and the VT100. Of course you might want to spend less for a preamp but any of the ARC preamps would probably be a good choice depending on the price and whether or not you want remote control. Tube rolling also makes a difference and I use the same tubes in my Ref 2 that Woodburger uses for his LS5. I would also suggest that you use the balanced inputs of the VT100MKII since it sounds better that way in my opinion. Therefore I would look for a preamp that has balanced outputs like the LS25, LS5, or the Reference series. Good luck.