Best cover tunes

Eva Cassidy-"Fields of Gold"

I realise "Live at Blues Alley" is already an audigon staple...but for a relative newbie...it is a rare breed that can take a song and really make it their own...and even more rare in this case...take a rather disposable song by a pompous Brit...and turn it into something transcedental and magical...

Dinosaur JR-"Just like Heaven"

A suprise find that doesn't surpass the original...which is a good pop song(hey...I like fat Bob)...but like Eva'a...sound as if Dino jr. wrote it in the first place...

Pixies-"Head on"

Doing a cover of the Mary chain is playing with fire...but the Pixies actually up the noise factor and outdue the a great, agressive, inspired version of one of the most overlooked bands of all time...every JAMC record sounds like a greatest hits collection...what is it with these sibling groups(AC/DC,Kinks) that kickass...mom...dad...why didnt you bless me with a guitar god little brother?

Otis Redding-"Satisfaction"

Borrowing from the Stones plagaristic ways...Otis turns in a great, hi-octane soul version of the most famous guitar riffs of all time...

Hendrix-"Wild thing" (live)

Many saw this as a farce...but jimi openly admitted his love for the song...and turns this 3-chord classic into a psychedelic monster...

Love and ROckets-"ball of confusion"

Few even know this is a cover...but it is a good one...

128x128phasecorrect

My favorite covers are often, perhaps not surprisingly, Dylan songs. To name just three:

1) Jimi Hendrix "All Along the Watchtower"
2) Byrds, "Mr. Tambourine Man"
3) Jason and the Scorchers "Absolutely Sweet Marie"

The first two will be familiar to most everyone. If you haven't heard the Scorchers' cover, I implore you to seek it out. It's on an EP called "Fervor," a record that surely belongs in the "canon."

Honorable mention: "Beat the Retreat"-An entire album of covers of Richard Thompson songs. It is superb.

Hmmm... In the theme of tribute albums, I highly recommend Return of the Grievous Angel. Remarkable covers of Gram Parsons' tunes--not really a weak cover on the whole album.
Feeling Alright / Joe Cocker (from Mad Dogs & the Englishman) / Grand Funk Railroad / ThreeDog Night / Huey Lewis (duets)/ Paul Weller. Any version will get your body to move or twitch. If not go see a doctor.
Holly Cole's Temptation album; all Tom Waits songs. I once read that Holly Cole doesn't cover songs she "uncovers" them.