16 ohms speakers- 8 ohms output amp

I just bought Fertin EX20. These are 8 inch field coild drivers that I'll be using in an open-baffle. I'm also looking to buy an amp, but most tube amps are 8 or 4 ohms output. Since they are 16 ohms, could I be using amps with 8 ohms. Will I be losing something? thanks.
laurentgilles
I checked the specs and they are 8 ohms. I was reading Dr Gizmo review of the PHY-30 and thought that the Fertin were the same. What can I say... I guess this really solve my problem. Now, those who have Fertin 20ex, what amp are you using and do you need a sub with these. Be kind, I'm just starting in this world of hi-fi and this isn' just a plug and play thing. Thanks.
Try searching Fertin @ audioasylum.com as there are a couple of owners/previous owners mentioned.

You may be able to contact them through the Email system.

If you have a scroll and/or keyhole saw and a drill (to cut the holes) you could first experiment with DIY plywood open baffles.

If you have more sophisticated tools, and know how to use them, then all the better.

It's important to use flat wood and to systematically tighten the drivers to the baffles (like an auto's oil pan/valve cover) as to not bend the driver frames, but other than this it's fairly simple.

I've made experimental OB's from scrap ply, a drill/scroll saw and a wood rasp (to bevel the edges of the holes) and I'm officially lame.

Inexpensive DIY OB's approx. 3' x 4' (and larger if possible) will allow you to judge whether added woofers/subs/HF drivers will be needed.

Securely coupling the drivers to a stiff/thick baffle generally offers a cleaner sound/more pronounced HF's.

The distance from the floor to the driver will also affect the bass/mid-bass.

I have not heard much of a difference between centering/offsetting the drivers, but placing them off center seems to be the preferred method of many.

The above variables are why I suggest cheap/DIY in the beginning.
I second dekay's advice for a good, inexpensive, diy amp. Don;t fret too much over the impedance, tubes have high output impedance (hence the output trannies) and love high impedance loads. Also remember, if you're measuring the Fertins with a conventional multimetre, what you get is the resistance rating Re (dc) -- not impedance Z(ac).

Again, as dk suggests, the baffle will be an important contribution to the sound. Why don't you try out PHY's "panneau plan" -- or Supravox's. They work very well.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the field coil allows you to play with the drivers' characteristics to suit your tastes. More than most of us with fixed magnets can do!
I think that I'll go for the Phy-hp type of baffle at first, since they are easier to build. Later, I'll try to find a better design. As for the amp, I'm not the upgrade type so I need an amp that I'll keep for the next 10years. I wonder how these amps(Bottlehead) would compare to other amps, like Cary.I would spend more than 2500 since I've spent close to 2600 for the Fertin. But I think that I would rather spend more now and keep the amp for a long time. My drivers are leaving France today so I'll probably get them by Monday. I still have a lot of work to do. Thanks for your advices. If you have any other ideas as for my choice of amps, keep them coming.
Laurent: 2600 euro for the Fertins???? And I thought Supravox fields were expensive!

Why are you insisting in a branded amp (Cary, etc)? A competently made diy (or a local hobbyist's product) will easily serve your purpose and for many years to come!

Amps using 300b, 2a3, 6c series, 845 tubes should do fine. These are outrageously expesnive to buy branded!