Ultimate Amplifier for the next 20 Years

Hello all!
Well, you I am again on the amplifier merry-go-round after my last digital amp(noname mentioned!) let me down in the dumps after a comparison with a Halo A21 amp. I had a keen ear friend who reviews for Stereo Times and he felt the same. Musical instruments more real sounding with better decay. Man was I surprised after thinking that the digital amp was my last! BTW, the most important part, my speakers are a pair of Apogee Studio Grands in beautiful piano black!! Now the digital amp is on subwoofers in which it has ALOT of punch! The perfect(but not cheap) subwoofer amp! High damping factor, runs cool, dual posts to run four(4) subs if you choose to and never runs out of juice!!

Anyway, I want to keep it under $5000 used or new. Prefer 2 channel amp and maybe monoblocks. Amp can't run too hot(very important)! My pre/pro is a Lexicon MC12B.
Here are my amps that I'm considering in order:

Classe CA2200- Runs class A up to 60 watts! Right now I have a dealer making me a killer offer. Probably the one I'm going to buy...

McCormack DNA500- My big second choose!

Theta Dreadnaught II- Since I have a 8.4 sound system but don't need alot of power for the other speakers, this would be the perfect multichannel amp for me(remember the .4 is powered by my digital amp). One BIG problem, it runs tooo freakin’ hot!

NuForce 9.2- Hearing great things.

Krell FBC300Cx- Jason Bloom ran only krell amps with Apogees.

Please add your thoughts on any comparison on these amps or a new one that you think are superior. I want this to be my last amp purchase for a long time! Right.... ; )

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP ON THIS MATTER!!!
Best,
Paul
ptheo
Ptheo,

I no longer have the CA-2200, but I used it with the CP-500 preamp, CDP-100 CD player and B&W 805 Signature speakers; this was a system I really liked. When I changed to B&W 802D speakers I felt the Classe just wasn't getting the job done so I purchased a Musical Fidelity kW500 integrated amp to compare and found it worked better. That said, I have since wondered if there was an issue with that amp because you'd think it would be a perfect match. I really wanted to keep the Classe gear, not only because I liked it before with the S805's but because I liked using the Delta series, it looked awesome and their service was awesome!
I second the odysseys, never break room temp. unless you are driving a very ridiculous load speaker, and 20 year warranty, nothing sounds as neutral and powerfull anywhere near the money.
Well I still haven't bought the Classe! The dealer told me that I could get a demo for $4000. Still debating!

Fplanner2000- I'm still looking at a DNA500 used for $3500. Being 500watts vs 200watts, I'm sure it’s MUCH more dynamic than the Classe! That is good to know also that it doesn’t run very hot, which I thought it did! But, something bothers me with McCormack vs Classe. McCormack seems to offer upgrades at a expensive cost($$$$) even on there best amp! Classe as I believe, considers hundreds if not thousands of different parts/brands, and uses only the best or makes there own(ex:caps)! I also believe being a newer design has higher technology. But I'm sure they sound much different from each other and sound not tech is what matters most!! I'll bet the McCormack sounds KILLER on my Apogee's!!! Man I want to try one! : )

I've owned two pairs of Legacy Focus speakers before. Bill is a great guy!

213cobra- When I said $5000(new or used), I'm talking Audiogon price! : ) Not retail. I haven't paid retail in more than a decade! I'm sure if you wait long enough you will find Audiopax 88 monoblocks for $5000(1/3 retail)! I've seen the Krell FBC300Cx for $3000(1/3 retail). I wish I could find the Classe for $2500(1/2 retail)! I've seen the DNA for $3500(1/2 retail).
So you can find the ultimate amp of your dreams on Audiogon! In fact, if it wasn't for Audiogon, I couldn't have never found or afforded my system!! And that is the truth!!! I LOVE YOU AUDIOGON! ; )

Audiofankj- I've tried all the above digital amps(Nu Force excluded), and they didn't cut it. My BelCanto Evo6 II is my surround amp. Even in bridged mode, not going to cut it!
Like I said(no names), I tried them all. Still thinking about the Nu Force though....

Thanks Boa2! It's driving me crazy!!

Mdconnelly- I read the review on the Butler amp. I have never tried tubes and the fact that the tube in the amp never needs replacing or even gets hot, is a surprise! Looks like an excellent sounding amp! I really have no info on Butler amps though(reliability, customer service, etc..).

Curriemt11- Being Bob's personal pair(lucky guy!), I'm sure they were modded plenty and are bad ass amps!! Since I liked the A21, I'm still kinda considering the JC1. But I know in the summer being that my HT room faces the west, after a couple of hours of play, and with 3" of clearance, think hot!!!

Brianmgrarcom- Interesting. I guess because the MF Kw500 is integrated tube based and more watts? What did you like better about the MF than the Classe? Was the Classe broke in and what service did it need that you are speaking of!?

Matrix- I'm sure they sound great, but when I saw the insides of a amp, and all the wires used running all over the place, not prof/high tech enough for me. But then again they are only $2000!!! I would like to hear one on my Apogee's though... : )

Thanks guys for all the replys and information!!!
Now what will tomorrow bring.... : )
Paul,
You might ask Ejlif about his JC1's. They are on multi-level racks, and I don't think they run hot.

Hope to meet soon, and can't wait to hear your new toy!

Howard
Ptheo, I couldn't tell all the "why's" that the kW500 was better, but you are right in that the 500 watts may play a role, my speakers like power and it is one area I speculate. As for the tubes, they may play a part; I am not necessarily a tube guy, I am not against them, but I don't think of the kW500 as your "typical" tube unit, even though it has them...good for 100,000 hours is nice.

As for, "what did I like better", everything sonically, I don't recall prefering the Classe amp and pre in any area (sonically).

I really don't know if there was anything wrong with my CA2200, I am simply questioning it for a couple reasons. 1) Classe had some early issues with there CP-500 going full volume at times when you adjusted the volume, thankfully my S805s took it in stride every time, the amp would go into protection; after doing this many times I wonder if some harm came to the amp, though I never noticed a change. 2) A lot of praise has been made on this amp, I too felt the same on my S805s, so why did I feel differently on the 802D's?

The Classe was plenty broke in.