Modwright SWL9.0 SE Tube Rolling

I'm using TungSol 5687 tubes as supplied by Modwright in my SWL9.0SE. They are very linear and extended with deep bass, however they have little midrange bloom.

Has anyone rolled other tubes in the SWL9.0SE? If so, would you please describe their tonal characteristics?
tvad
From what I heard at RMAF last fall it works great. Excellent synergy between those two components and Dan did a great job on the tube output stage of the player.
Tantra,

I bought my modded 999ES on here used so I can't compare to the stock unit. The unit I bought has the basic signature truth mods with the Revelation Audio Umbilical Upgrade, it does not have the AC and Slipstream Bybee filter mods, so again I can't speak to that unit. All I can say is I now have far and away the best sounding system I have ever had and the 2 Modwright pieces are what got me there. These two pieces are voiced to go together and the music is intoxicating.
Leatherneck,I must agree with you on this one! I am not one who rolls tubes in and out of my system on a regular basis but have found that the Philips Cryo'd 7119 is the ticket for me and thanks for answering my email.

I purchased a Modwright Sony999ES with Platinum Truth Mods with the Revelation Audio Cyro'd umbilical here two weeks ago (thanks Frank a wonderful guy)and I am currently waiting for my Modwright SWL 9.0 SE to be completed and shipped.My contribution to this thread is if you can find some Cryo'd Phillips 7119s (Tubeman had some but is currently out of them)....don't hesitate and let us know if they compare to everone's favorite or surpasses it.My Sony arrived with two sets of tubes from Frank.One set was the TungSols which were Cyro'd and the Philips which were also Cryo'd and both sets were new I am told.The TungSols were placed in the Sony999ES "first" and I listened with them installed for appx.a week.Now,maybe the TungSols took a little longer to burn in I don't know and I hope that enough time was alloted for them to at least burn in but they never provided the sound I hoped for.Sound wise everything sounded congested and closed in. Basically not thrilled with the TungSols at this point,

I inserted the Philips 7119s and played them daily and on the third day the transformation of the Sony was revelatory. I could not believe how glorious and incredible my system exploded and came alive with extension at both extremes.The bass became solidified like never before.The soundstage expanded well beyound the frames of my Soundlabs and detail and timbre exceed what was expected.I became worst than a kid in a candy store. I have never heard them sound this way in my home and have had them for six years.By far,the Modwright Sony 999ES with the 7119s Cryo'd is a major factor.Also,it must be said that I am using the Sony999ES directly into my amp which has volumne controls on the rear and it appears that this is without any "lost" in dynamics.

I must say a word of THANKS to Dan Wright because he has been instrumental in me achieving what I am getting now and he answered "all" my emails regarding his products.In my experience never have I corresponded with such a gracious and wonderful person in all of audiodom. I can't wait until the Modwright SWL 9.0 SE arrives.It should be the star of the show!

Chuckie
I found the Sylvania GB5687 to be harsh on the top end also, but mine are quite new and unused. Does the high end tame down after a break-in period? If so, how long would it take?
To answer my own question, the Sylvania relaxed quite a bit over a week. The harshness diminished and the tight 'tubiness' became more loose (if that makes any sense) resulting in some fantastic spatiality. For me the tubes ended up quite nice but still too forward in the upper midrange, lower treble for my system.