CD output voltage too high for preamp: what to do?

I have an Audible Illusions preamp which is designed for a 1.5v input signal. I am told that this is standard. My Ayre CX-7e puts out 2.25v. They play beautifully together but I have too little control over volume: I cannot use the preamp vol controls beyond 9 o'clock because it is way too loud. Likewise it is hard to get just the right volume in the limited range available. This is worse with some CDs for reasons I do not know.
Audible Illusions will change the preamp attenuation board for $275, but before I do so I wonder how others have dealt with the problem of newer CD players with higher outputs than their preamps were designed for.
gmargo
Your only other option is to use an in-line attenuator between the cd and pre. They come in various values and are modest in costs. You can try an inexpensive set from Parts Connexion and then if it works out, get a more expensive set like the Rothwells.
Hi there,
a set of Rothwell attenuators will solve your problem.
I think these can be had in differnt values and cost about £35 over here - sure I've seen them advertised on Gon.
Russ Andrews (the Kimber distributor in the UK) does attenuated i/c's for this very reason, not sure if Kimber do likewise.
Rgds Si
I've recently done some research into attenuation for the same reason you describe. User reports of the Rothwell attenuators were mixed, with some users reporting added noise in the system. I decided to have my preamp's output gain adjusted even though it's more expensive, since this is the only way to remain true to the sonics of the preamp (and CD player).