CD output voltage too high for preamp: what to do?

I have an Audible Illusions preamp which is designed for a 1.5v input signal. I am told that this is standard. My Ayre CX-7e puts out 2.25v. They play beautifully together but I have too little control over volume: I cannot use the preamp vol controls beyond 9 o'clock because it is way too loud. Likewise it is hard to get just the right volume in the limited range available. This is worse with some CDs for reasons I do not know.
Audible Illusions will change the preamp attenuation board for $275, but before I do so I wonder how others have dealt with the problem of newer CD players with higher outputs than their preamps were designed for.
gmargo
I ordered the Endler attenuators in the 4k 24 step version. I am going to use them on the amp with my preamp in the chain feeding them. I did read in the PF review that used alone with a source feeding it, while the attenuators were very musical and transparent, there was a tradeoff in reduced soundtage and imaging (more 2 dimensional sound is what the end result was). Has anyone experienced this? Might this be different using the preamp in the chain?

My preamp is a Joule Electra LA-100 MkIII, with input impedance of 20k ohms and output impedance of 300 ohms. Currently it is set at 11db of gain.
Restock- Beats me, unless they are designed for pro use. Sound reinforcement/studio equipment often employ a matched impedance interface to optimize power transfer. If thats the case it would almost certainly be offered with a balanced connection only.
My AI 3A has a jumper that reduces the gain. Is this an option or am I missing something?
Depends on how much the gain is reduced. My preamp has switches with plus or minus 3db increments. Even at the lowest level of 11db I am experiencing too much gain.
I purchased a pair of the Rothwell 10db attenuators and installed them between my pre-amp and amp and did not notice or perceive any degredation in sound quality........they did solve my gain issue.

Chuck