Lamm ML1.1 & ML 2.1

Hi,

I've the opportunity to heard 2 times the ML2.1 - 18 watts class A - first time on JM Lab Grande Utopia BE and the other one, on Kharma CRM 3.2

I love the sound of the ML2.1 : so natural, so human...

But I don't know the lower priced ML1.1 - the 90 watts -I'm living in France and it's not well distributed.

What differs between both in terms of sound ?

Do you know other amp with this kind of natural sound - at same price or lower !!!!

Thanks

David
davidri
"I am SO smitten by the magic of this amp(not necessarily a Kharma speaker,btw,though they are fine,even with the almost absurd overpricing),that I will most likely be HAPPY to give up all the stunning dynamic inpact,and bass depth(not to mention I have damn good tone color as of now,and a stunning soundstage,yet nothing touches the little Lamm mono blocks,Imo)that I live with now.I MUST own these,some day!!Like that character,in the movie "Close Encounters of The Third Kind",I keep saying-"This means something"!I guess I get it.It only took me 37 hobby years,to figure it out!!!

These amps are SO good,to me,that I have completely rearranged my musical perspective.Everything I've loved over the years,and all audio preconceived notions,of how a system should perform,is now DEFUNCT,by the fact that these amps exist.Obviously they will need a simple set-up,with some potential compromises.I don't care!!Nothing wrong with a nice two way,for a different look(actually,"listen")as compared to my previous full range stuff.BTW-I'm quite aware that these amps kick butt,and can deliver quite a full range sound,"if the correct speakers are chosen".There's the rub!!"

Sir Speedy...like you I have been involved in this hobby for ~35 years and have IMO owned just about every high end amp imagineable from solid state to tubes. Prior to the Lamm ML 2.1's I owned the ARC Ref 600 Mk lll's and thought them to be the cat's meow with 31 tubes per amp. I sold them to buy the new replacement Reference 610T. For private reasons the deal soured and I was pissed at this and looked for a suitable replacement. I had heard Vladimir's amps many times at CES and always felt them to be remarkable. I agonized as to whether these 18 wpc SET's could drive my huge X-2's. I made many enquiries including calls to Wilson Audio and each time was reassured that not only would they drive my speakers but would do so with plenty of head room. I bought them as a result and have had them since July 2005. Since then I can say that form my ears and my system I have reached audio nirvana. IMO there is just no amp that is as musical as this one. It brings smiles to my face daily as I scratch my head in awe.I really feel that I have made my last amp purchase. Bear in mind that Vladimir will be releasing his ML 3's 30wpc SET for CES next year which is a 4 piece set of monos at a reported MSRP of $135K.

"Oneobgyn, since I have been following your threads, I decided I just gotta hear the ML2 in my system, so, I am buying one, and will have it end of next week, or first part of the following. My speakers are 95DB Epiphany 12/12. I sure hope I feel the same way as you. The Gentleman I am buying from, is getting the Dartzeel. I just love tubes, SET especially. I just hope I get the same results, as you. I will post after receiving. I already have the Telefunken's, both smooth, and ribbed, along with about 10 other pairs of high end 12AX7's. My question is this, have you rlooed any other tbes in the amp."

711smilin...

My best advice to you is to get the ML 2's from that gentleman with a no trade back policy because IMO he will truly miss his Lamm amps after listening to the DarTZeel. If you love SET and tubes this amp is the best of the best. Are getting the ML 2 or the ML 2.1? Some feel the ML 2 was a better amp than it's successor. I cannot comment on that

As for tube rolling, I also bought circa 1957 NOS Mullard long plate with square getter halo and found them likewise to be excellent, somewhat warmer in the mid range than the Telefunken but not as defined as the Telefunken.

I also found the rib plate Telefunken's to be more defined than the smooth plate. I am using circa 1965 NOS Telefunken with rib plate.

As for the Lamm amp I have no vested interest in the company but you can find my testimonial to these amps on Valdimir's webpage.If you love music these amps are the goods and your speakers at 95 Db should be fine as mine too are 95 Db efficient with their 15" drivers.
SirSpeedy, I finally got my SOTA Cosmos setup, and I'm just floored how good it sounds. But then again, this is my venture back into vinyl (which I so happily left back in the 80s for the convinence of remote control and 'instance access'). I'm starting out with the Denon DL-103 and I can't imagine moving up from there. But, someday I just might, maybe when my record collection becomes sizable. Anyway, I have it atop a Symposium Ultra platform like yours as well. Exception sound! I'm using the Loricraft record cleaner as well.

So I take it from your post, a pair of ML2s are in your future? You won't regret it, as you well know.

I'm *casually* on a speaker quest as well, but for now the Living Voices are very very good for their price point. I've heard the Kharma 3.2FE, and I was very tempted. But now that I have the ML2s in my system, the Living Voices really hold their own in many ways.

I'm tempted to try the Zu Driud to hear a xover-less single driver with these amps.
I as well have some ML2's heading my way to potentially replace my ML1's. I feel my Reimer Teton speakers at 95db should be able to handle the lower powered ML2's. Davidri, I will post my comparative comments in a few weeks after I have them up and running.
Onobgyn,I'm happy you've found audio bliss!Seldom done,IMO!Hey,let's not get too excited about things Lamm.We haven't heard the Japanese Audio Note mono blocks (at least I have not).Therse babies go for 250K!!Hmm!Can you spare some dough?

James,REALLY,REALLY happy for you!!You have a lot of fun listening in front of you.

BTW--The Lamms won't make an appearance until I sell my home,in a few brief years.My kids are grown,but I still have to unload my daughter.No rush,she's the love of my life,yet I'll have a cute SET amp,when she goes!Also,I'm kind of smitten by the (once again overpriced,yet indispensible)Kharma Mini Exquisites.Hope I get top dollar,for my house.BTW--due to size it should be an easy sell,to the wife!!
Have any of you guys rolled the 6N6P=E182CC with a bendix 6900, or other 6119/5687 variant?