Moscode 401HR's Sonic Character

I am curious about this hybrid amp. I very briefly saw it at the HE show in NYC, last year. I just read the (overall favorable) review that was just released in TAS.

I am looking to hear from those who own this amp, or have taken advantage of Moscode's generous in-home audition.

How would you describe this amp's sound?
Does it sound like a tube amp?
Does it sound like a solid state amp?
Does it sound like the best of both worlds...warm "tube" richness, with solid state authority & slam?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
barrelchief
I'm in the seventh day of a 15 day in-home audition of the Moscode 401HR. George Kaye told me that amp would require 100 hours to open up to 90% of its potential. Thus far, it has just over 150 hours.

It is a very musical amp. Nice extension without edge or glare. The image is wide and solid. Bass goes nice and deep with good control, although not as crisp and slammin' as some purely SS amps or digital amps I have tried. In my room, the bass is more true to the music, and provides an excellent foundation without sounding out of balance with the rest of the frequency spectrum. In fact, the 401HR's bass is better than that from any tube amp I have heard at home.

The midrange and treble is silky like a good tube amp. It's not quite as holographic and magical as the midrange on my VAC Phi 110/110, but it's still very early in the burn-in process, and this area could very well improve. The VAC didn't develop its magic until hundreds of hours into the burn-in process.

What is terrfic about the Moscode is how easily the sound can be tailored with tube rolling. The changes I get rolling tubes in the 401HR are more immediate than any changes I have realized by rolling KT88 or 6SN7 tubes in the VAC (to the credit of the VAC). The stock Electro Harmonix and Sovtek tubes are quite capable, but rolling in some NOS 12AU7 or 6922 tubes makes a clear change for the better as the highs become sweeter and the image becomes more 3D. I have rolled Siemens E88CC, Mullard ECC82, Tungsram 12AU7, National 6DJ8 and RCA 5814A. The 12AU&/5814A present a slightly softer and larger image. Very, very nice. The 6DJ8/6922 create a punchier sound with a more coherent image, IMO, and they better define the edges of the instruments.

Yes, I would say the Moscode combines the best of both worlds, but it favors the best qualities of tube amps. I imagine someone walking into a room who was not familiar with the Moscode, and without seeing the amp, would guess the amplification was 100% tubes.

A very nice amplifier. I am absolutely enjoying my time with it.
A very nice amplifier. I am absolutely enjoying my time with it.

Tvad, I see you sold your Vac Phi 110/110. Coming so soon after your audition of the Moscode 401 HR, is this what replaced your amp? If not, what did you choose and would you mind telling us a bit more about your experiences with the Moscode?

Thank you.
I kept the Moscode 401HR. My experience with the amp is pretty well summed up above as there have been no significant changes in its sound since I made the post on 6/27.

I have done a good amount of tube rolling...Mullard Mitchum E88CC, National 6DJ8, RCA 5814A, Tungsram 6922, Tungsram 12AU7, Siemens ECC88 and Siemens 6922 CCa. Thus far, the CCa are the clear winners, with the Nationals in a close second. I am hoping to soon own some Mullard Blackburn ECC88 and Mullard Blackburn 12AU7.

If anyone has a specific question, I'd be happy to try and answer it.
if the 401HR is anything like my friends moscode 600(modified by G kaye)& im sure its better , then its gotta be a great amplifier. ive had the 600 in my system for many month & loved the sound.

Tvad (or anyone else),

On the original Counterpoint SA amps: "These amplifiers use MOSFETs in the output stage, devices which had initially attained a high level of popularity due to their soft and musical sonic characteristic. Critical listening has shown, however, that MOSFETs soften the sound perhaps too much, and add their own coloration - a kind of fine-grained mist - to the sound. Also, due to high internal losses and occasional flaws in manufacturing, MOSFETs have not proven to be as reliable as bipolar transistors." Mike Elliott Alta Vista Audio / Aria
I am guessing that ten plus years has given companies who manufacture MOSFETS the time to improve their products?

Have you noticed any "misting" or "softening"of the sound from the Moscode? (other than the usual tube colorations)

Also, have you compared the Moscode to any other hybrids such as the Butler TDB 2250 or even an older Counterpoint SA-220 or one of the upgrades offered by Mike Elliott?

Thanks for any and all impressions.