Audio Horizons TP 2.0 Preamplifier

Anyone famaliar with the manufacturer,and in particular
this pre amp.The credentials and testimonials seem
impressive.The advertised 10 day audition is appealing.
markwatkiss
Josh,
I personally haven't had an opportunity to have a VTL 5.5 preamp in my system so I can't offer a comparison for you. My suggestion is that you ask the dealer to let you borrow a VTL 5.5 and listen to it in your system for a trial period. Audio Horizons has a 30 day return policy so you can get a 2.1n version to compare to the VTL in your own system. In my opinion, this is the best way for you to make your decision. Your system and room acoustics are more than likely different than your dealer's room, so get them both in your system for some serious listening with your favorite music.
Joshclark,

Contact Gamecock and Cedar, one of those two had a 5.5, they could give you more insight from ownership.
Btstrg - I was told by the AH representative, Victor that positions 1 and 3 were a bit more critical to the sound than positions 2 & 4. That is the rational for using the best tubes that you can afford there, if you can only afford two really great tubes instead of four. This comes from the cost of great cca's at times pushing $300 each. I opted however to use cca's in all four positions under the idea that it is often best to have matched tubes accross the board in a given unit and that the sound benefit was worth the cost. By being patient I think usually you can find a matched quad of whatever you want at a more reasonable cost. My quads of cca's cost me about $600 I think, and all other options such as Telefunkens, Mullards and Amperex could be found cheaper than this. Let us know what tubes you try from your current stash. And welcome to the AH "club"
Gammajo
Thanks for the info, as for tubes I have quads of Amperex pinched waist, PQ D getter,cca's, Mullards and numerous other's.
I use four in my amps and have been stashing tubes away for years should be kind of fun tube rolling as I haven't done that alone for a couple years.
I will try all but was a bit confused on the different tubes being used in the different positions.
Thanks again for your response.

Also how is the AH power cord on the pre?
Btsrg,
Please let me know how you like the pinched waists in the preamp. It's the only tube I don't have access to, but then, I could live happily ever after with these Siemens CCa. By the way, I have tried both a Transparent and Premium power cord on my preamp. For the money, they are very good, but in all honesty, there are much better cords, however, for a price. I don't mean to down-play any of Joseph's products because his preamp is the best I've had in my system and his other mods and upgrades are fantastic. His modded version of my Citation 18 tuner is an amazing achievement. This is currently my favorite source of listening in the evenings while I browse these forum threads. Mr. Chow is a genius when it comes to lowering noise level in audio components. I previously had an Electraglide Epiphany X which I thought was just a perfect match for my TP 2.0n; until recently, I came across a new copper/silver blended foil/ribbon power cord that is unbelievable. My TP 2.0n has never sounded better. I can't even imagine it sounding any better. In fact, I'll go so far as to say, I'm done for a long while in my preamp searches. My 5ft. Epiphany X will be up for sale soon. Any fellow TP 2.0 owners want a brother-in-law deal?