DAC to Amps bypassing preamp: Opinions please

I am wondering what experiences folks have had with running the output of the DAC (with volume control) right to the amps bypassing the preamp. I am currently running a Muse 296 DAC into a BAT VK-5i, but that is my only input into the preamp, so don't need preamp switching. I was thinking of going to a DAC like the Camelot Usher that has a volume control (also need balanced inputs/outputs) and removing the preamp from the chain. The amps being used are Wright Sound Mono 10's feeding Zu Tone monitors. Any thoughts? What about compatability issues with going from DAC right to preamp. Is there enough level from the DAC to attain full output from the amps?

Thanks in advance

- Stew
smeyers
This is something you really need to try for youself. In most cases, there will be some areas of clear improvement, but some people feel they give up important qualities as well. Very much a personal decision based on your sonic priorities, budget, and beliefs about the role of a preamp.
I ran my Benchmark into my BAT VK-60 for two years & loved the sound. It wasn't until I sold the BAT & put a pre-amp into my system that I started to realize my speakers full potential. I tried two different pre-amps & two different amps with my Benchmark used as a passive pre-amp. The pre-amps sounded better every time. I would try it either way, you don't know until you try & that is the fun part (for me) of this hobby.
But how can putting an extra piece of equipment between the DAC and the amp possibly improve the sound?? The signal coming from the DAC is as pure and unadulterated as it is going to get. Everything else after that - cables, amp, speakers - is in some way introducing various distortions/changes to the original signal - even if ever so slightly. So how can another piece in the chain help? Now I do't mean for any of this to sound argumentative, I have been surprised before in this hobby where something that I didn't think could make a difference really did, so I am not challenging the idea, just asking about it.
Preamps can compensate for impedance mismatches and other things. I ran a dCS stack into an ARC VT-100 Mk III and--even though the dCS purports to be preamp-like and the impedances were within tolerances, it seemed lifeless. I put a preamp in between and the slam and vitality of the system came back. May simply depend upon the electronics, but I can attest that a preamp is a good thing in my system.
I'm with you, Studioray -- it doesn't make sense. And yet I can attest to having had the same experience as Eric at times.