Are there any budget tubed preamps that stand out

I have a solid state mono block set with only digital source. I run Apogee speakers.
I have looked to Norh, Audio Mirror, and some others and need to be less than $700. Much less if possible.

andy
brownsanandy
I've had good experience running an Audible Illusions M3 with a Stratos Extreme. The AI seems to mate well with the Odyssey, providing detail and air while benefitting from the Odyssey's deep bass. You can routinely find an M3 or L-1 if you don't need a phono stage for less than $700 on Agon. Good luck!
I auditioned one of the Dodd basic pre-amps and it was very good. At the time, they were $450 direct from Dodd Audio. I don't know if Gary is still building them, but you occassionally see one used here on the 'goN.

Enjoy,

TIC
Good call on the Dodd basic. I am going to order his battery preamp, but the basic should be an excellent value for a budget preamp. I'd also recommend AES and a used EE Minimax appears to go for under $700.
For $700, a first generation Blue Circle BC21 which uses 6SN7 tubes has a beautiful and distinctive midrange tone, and creates an expansive, dynamic soundfield.