Pass Labs users. Next upgrade?

I just upgraded my Amp from a X-150 to an X-350 and love the increased dynamics in my large room. I find them to be similar sounding amps. More fineness, control and dynamics w/ the X-350. My Top end, depending on the recording, can be harsh and fatuging at high listening levels still,(not as bad). Next move, Should I replace my Adcom GFP-750 Pre, the preamp people love to hate (I can only compare it to a Placette Line stage, similar results in my system). I think the Adcom is fine in passive mode and a waste of time in active mode.
Should I spend my dough on a 2.5 or X-1 preamp or go to the X-350.5 Amp upgrade for the most bang for the buck?
Trl Modified Sony SACD-2000 ES , Sansui Tu-717 Tuner
Speakers: Audio Physic Virgo II's and Two Rel Storm III Subs,"a tasty combo"
Greg
gandme
I also find some recordings a bit harsh.But it is the cd,not the system. I also have some recordings that are fantastic. Have you done anything with your audio room? Bass traps, etc.....Your room is very important also. What kind of power conditioner are you using? That will also take some harshness out. What kind of rack are you using? That can change things even more, Do yo have your speaker wires off the floor? So many things to check before you upgrade.Id still change your preamp, the rest of your system is much better than your preamp.
Null1, I have no room treatments and I don't use a power conditioner. I have my system in the main living area. I would be afraid for my personal safety if I attempted to make my audio presence dominate my wife's decor. I don't have problems intergrating my speakers and subs.. they match seamlessly great bass!... higher mids and highs can be harsh though at higher spl's.
I am an Electrician. At one point in my life, back in the disco era, I ran circuits for Live and D.J. music systems. So I have 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits. One for Amplification and the other for source componets. My neutral and mechanical grounds are not bonded (they are grounded independently)I also use audio quailty outlets( all copper, no brass parts) My Amp circuit is run W/ #10 solid copper wire(less voltage drop during periods of higher demand). They are as quiet as any residental circuits can be
Ditch the Adcom for about any preamp, but the Pass X-1 or about any of the Audio Reseach preamps would be great choices. I'm sure the 350.5 is better, but the 350 is a very good amp. The Adcom preamp is a major limiting factor in your system.
9rw, Are you talking tube or solid state when recommending Audio Research? There are so many A.R. pre's on the used market. What have you used w/ your X-350? If you are not familiar with my Audio Physic Virgo's they have a similar sound to Magnapan and other Electostatics...(but are not). They just tend to get a little sharp in the highs.
I'm really surprised the Adcom does't match up better with the Pass Amps. I had the X-150 first, with the same results. I believe Wayne Colburn of Pass designed the Adcom 750 and is just a less complicated design than the Pass Aleph P.
Gandme: I used a Pass X1 and ARC LS25 with my X350. Both were good, but the X1 was better -- in my opinion. It had better dynamics and better extension (highs and lows). As for ARC preamps, I was mainly referring to the tube preamps, but the old LS3 was a nice preamp, too.