SS amp/preamp suggestions for Avalon Arcus?

hi,

i'm looking for a good SS amp & preamp combination (or integrated) for my new avalon arcus speakers. i'd like to stay under $3000 total. i'd consider new or used/demo stuff. btw, if you're not familiar with these speakers, they are 2-way floorstanders with a great open sound but only so-so sensitivity...so i probably need at least 100 watts/ch. the listed nominal impedance is 4.5 ohms.

i prefer a very detailed and accurate sound, as opposed to a "warm" tube-like sound. soundstaging and imaging are big priorities too. any help is appreciated.

thanks.
s2k_dude
Consider how Avalon speakers are shown at CES, the Stereophile show and other trade shows. It is always with solid state electronics such as Ayre, Classe, Spectral and Muse. The Avalons are wonderful speakers but tend toward warmth. Also, they are not champions in terms of retrieving low level detail. Both of these factors tend to make them more suited for solid state. That is not to say that tubes will sound bad with Avalons. In fact, they will sound warm and rich as you have described. I got decent sound for a couple years with a CAT Signature III and Music Reference RM9 II. But I didn't get the same level of detail retrieval as with solid state. Since S2K Dude indicates a desire for detail over warmth, I think SS is the way to go.
Good point, just trying to give S2K another option, I suppose it depends what one is looking for sound wise. Detail=SS, warmth=Tube either way I am sure it will bring a smile to your face.
decamacho1 - good call on the muse model three.

tried out some muse stuff last night and while i wasn't crazy about the amp (160?), the model three was a very nice piece, especially in the two-box configuration (separate power supply). the amp was a little too in-your-face for my tastes. however, when paired with a more laid-back CJ SS amp, the model three's detail, imaging & bass response(!!) were noticeably better than those of several other preamps (including the CJ). i am exploring the possibility of buying the CJ amp/muse pre-amp combo. we'll see.