Anyone else evolve beyond tubes?

Over many years of owning both solid state and tube amps/pre-amps, my most recent high end system makes me question the need for tubes at all, except at the source! My Mcintosh C46 pre and MC501's driven by an MF A5 CD player into Dyn" C4's with MIT Magnum cabling produces music of great beauty and dynamic swing. I even demo'd some of the newer tube gear available for comparison...not even close. I think modern, well designed solid state gear is superior overall...at least with a tube output stage in your source!
128x128dave_b

08-16-06: Mrtennis
the issue of tubes vs solid states for the current generation of tube preamps and amps, exluding set amps is a non issue.

the differnces between the sound of ss and tubes, especially using "dynamic" speakers is very small and insignificant.
I disagree wholeheartedly, with the caveat that one man's insignificant is another man's significant, and not having the experience with 70s and 80s tubed gear I imagine it's possible there was a more significant sonic difference between SS and tubed equipment during those decades. If that's the case, then it stands to reason one could consider the differences less today based on the earlier sound as a reference.

However, I have heard substantial differences between tubed and solid state preamps and amps on my dynamic loudspeakers. All the equipment was manufactured after 2000.
I should have said, tubes take some credit in helping the non-oversampling DAC work sonic bliss. I don't need more. The full benefit of the DAC is amplified untampered with. tube lovers would love my system sound.
The mu-vista tubes in the MF A5 do not have haze, grain, slowness or frequency anomalies whatsoever...it may be the best CD player available...beats my Wadia 860 and ML 390s! I recently heard the ARC ref setup with Watt Puppy 8's...ok but not great..still tube haze present! Maybe some combination of tube amp/preamp would not color the music so much. Just thought it was interesting that the Mcintosh stuff is so grain free and rich in timbre...very dynamic as well.
Umm but it doesn’t get rid of the tubes. So you still need them even though you’re using a SS amp. I have a T-amp and really like it for lower listening levels (bedroom system). But my main 2 channel system is all tubes. I really like it better than any of the SS amps that I have used.

What really matters is DO YOU LIKE IT? Unless you’re chasing the dog, when it sounds great to you, then sit and listen.

I really think that room acoustics far outweighs any hi end mod you can do with equipment however. I have heard some under 1000.00 systems sound better than 10000.00 systems by room arrangements and good attention to sound materials. In fact the funniest blind test I attended was a comparison between two SS amps; a 150.00 pioneer verses a Mark Levinson ML2. Most people enjoyed the smooth midrange of the pioneer!? But liked the overall detail of the Mark Levinson. It blew me away. But actually it was how the room was laid out and the materials used that allowed the lesser amp to sound well beyond its price and build range. I thought it was a SS amp pitted against a lesser tube amp.