Anyone else evolve beyond tubes?

Over many years of owning both solid state and tube amps/pre-amps, my most recent high end system makes me question the need for tubes at all, except at the source! My Mcintosh C46 pre and MC501's driven by an MF A5 CD player into Dyn" C4's with MIT Magnum cabling produces music of great beauty and dynamic swing. I even demo'd some of the newer tube gear available for comparison...not even close. I think modern, well designed solid state gear is superior overall...at least with a tube output stage in your source!
128x128dave_b
I have had good experience ordering tubes from the tube depot and the tube store. Only one Mullard EL34 from about the last 50 tubes, I ordered from both of them, failed.

But try as I might, I still can't get those Chinese tubes, pre or power, to sound as good as the current Ei, TungSol and JJ tubes, despite long run in time in a variety of amps and phono preamp configurations.
09-07-06: Snook2
My info came from the gentleman who owns Vintage Tube Services. I ordered new tubes and he explained the problems he has with NOS in bulk. He checks all tubes before sending them off. Lots are failed or don't test to his standards.
Ha! Now the statement makes perfect sense. He told me the same thing, but specifically regarding Siemens CCa tubes. He's the best in the biz. You can take the quality of his tubes to the bank.

However, given his strict standards for tubes, I'm not convinced all the tubes he discards are junk. It'd be fun to try his rejects.
Tvad's right. Andy is OCD with his products. I'd also love a crack at the "junk" bin.
Recently I read something on here that Andy was closing up shop. I see the website is still up so is there any truth to that? Every purchase I have made from him (at least 6 transactions), save one, has resulted in excellent tubes. On the one that didn't (Sylvania 6SN7Ws) he immediately refunded my money. A great asset to the audio community.
Indeed an asset to the audio community. The most fun was his insight into amp technology and what he knows about some of the leading amp manufacturers. They differ from some of the reviewers. IMAGINE THAT I am trying to be diplomatic and not mention any names